×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Disney Announces ‘Wreck-It Ralph’ Sequel

Wreck-It Ralph” is officially getting a sequel, Disney Animation annouced on Thursday morning.

The second installment of the animated hit will be directed by Rich Moore and Phil Johnston, with John C. Reilly returning to voice the titular lead character. The trio made the announcement via Facebook Live.

Reilly revealed that Ralph leaves the arcade world and wrecks the internet in the sequel, which will hit theaters on March 9, 2018.

Wreck-It Ralph” grossed more than $470 million in 2012 and received an Oscar nomination. Moore directed from a screenplay by Johnston and “Frozen” co-director Jennifer Lee based on a story by Moore, Johnston and Jim Reardon.

The movie took place in the game “Fix-It Felix, Jr.” The villain, Wreck-It Ralph, embarks on a journey to break his bad guy rep.

Moore had been developing the sequel while directing “Zootopia.”

“From the moment we started working on the first ‘Wreck-It Ralph,’ we knew there were so many possibilities with these characters,” Moore said. “This time, Ralph’s wrecking wreaks havoc on the Web — as only he can do. Characters we loved in the first film are back and we are ecstatic to be working with them — and the actors who voice them — once again.”

“The world of the internet is the perfect place to send Ralph and Vanellope,” Johnston said. “The scope and scale are so vast and the possibilities for comedy are endless.”

Reilly interrupted the Facebook Live announcement several times while looking for a cup of coffee.

“Ralph is a character very near and dear to my heart,” he said. “I’m really looking forward to playing the big lug again. Making the first ‘Wreck-It Ralph’ was one of the most special experiences I’ve ever had and I’m really looking forward to bringing him back to life. So many kids I’ve met all over the world are excited to see him again, too. They tell me all the time!”

Disney also announced Thursday that it had moved “Gigantic” out of the March 9, 2018, date now occupied by “Wreck-It Ralph 2.” Instead, “Gigantic,” which is loosely based on the fairy tale “Jack and the Beanstalk,” is scheduled to be released eight months later on Nov. 21, 2018.

More Film

  • Contract Placeholder Business WGA ATA Agent

    Writers Guild, Hollywood Agents Negotiate With Deadline Looming

    The Writers Guild of America and Hollywood agents have held a sixth negotiating session with a deadline for a new deal 16 days away — and it’s uncertain whether progress is being made. The Association of Talent Agents made counter-proposals at Thursday’s session that contain provisions for more accountability and transparency by agencies for clients [...]

  • Fox Layoffs

    Fox Layoffs Leave Staffers Stunned and Saddened

    Fox employees knew this day was coming. For over a year, the men and women who work at the Century City lot have talked of little else but severance packages and job searches. They knew that when Disney wrapped up its $71.3 billion acquisition of much of 21st Century Fox’s film and television assets, thousands [...]

  • Alan Horn Disney

    Disney Clarifies Film Leadership After Harrowing Day of Fox Layoffs

    Following the dismissal of top executives in distribution, marketing and strategy on Thursday, new 20th Century Fox owner Disney has clarified its new top leadership. Five distinct Fox labels and a portion of their leadership have been welcomed into the Disney fold, the company said. This includes Twentieth Century Fox, Fox Family, Fox Searchlight Pictures, [...]

  • Janelle Monae

    Film News Roundup: Janelle Monae to Star in Film From Gerard Bush, Christopher Renz

    In today’s film news roundup, Janelle Monae will star in a Lionsgate movie, Bill Nighy joins “Emma,” and documentaries on surfer Bethany Hamilton and Asbury Park are dated. CASTINGS Janelle Monae will star in an untitled Lionsgate movie directed by the duo Gerard Bush and Christopher Renz. The film will be produced by QC Entertainment’s Ray [...]

  • Blair Rich Marketing Summit

    Studio Marketing Chiefs Discuss the Theatrical vs. Netflix Oscars Debate

    On a day where a large part of the Fox marketing department was wiped out in the aftermath of the Disney merger, a group of marketing chiefs from other studios and streamers sat down at the Variety Entertainment Marketing Summit presented by Deloitte “to discuss the issues shaping the feature marketing landscape today, including the theatrical [...]

  • Paul Feig Heads to Universal From

    Paul Feig's Feigco Entertainment Jumps From Fox to First-Look Deal at Universal

    Universal’s comedy constellation just added another star, welcoming Paul Feig from 20th Century Fox Film on Thursday. Universal has set a first-look production agreement with Feig’s Feigco Entertainment, bringing in the prolific producer, writer, and director known for hits like “Bridesmaids” and the recent “A Simple Favor.” News of Feig’s relocation shook out of a [...]

  • The Fault in Our Stars

    Disney Retiring Fox 2000 Label

    Disney will stop making films under the Fox 2000 label, a move that could mean that its head Elizabeth Gabler will not be making the move to the Magic Kingdom, Variety has learned. The decision is surprising because Disney had previously stated that Gabler would stay on board at the studio even after it was [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content