×

Judge Sides With Insurer for Denial of Coverage to ‘Midnight Rider’ Filmmakers

A federal judge is rejecting efforts by the production company behind “Midnight Rider” to collect an insurance claim stemming from the Feb. 20, 2014 train accident on the set that killed camera assistant Sarah Jones and injured eight others.

U.S. District Judge Otis Wright, in a decision issued on Thursday, ruled in favor of New York Marine and its contention that the insurance policy was voided because of an exclusion covering criminal acts. The director of the movie, Randall Miller, served a year in jail in Jesup, Ga., after he plead guilty to charges of criminal trespass and involuntary manslaughter. His wife, producer Jody Savin, was also charged, but those charges were dropped as part of a plea agreement.

Wright wrote that there was “no genuine dispute or ambiguity concerning the policy’s criminal act exclusion.”

He wrote that the court “determines that Film Allman’s employees entered onto the land in question. That the film crew was present on the train tracks is not disputed; indeed, the train accident in question could not have happened but for the crew’s presence on the tracks.”

Film Allman, owned by Miller and Savin, had sued New York Marine, claiming that the insurer improperly denied coverage and assigned them an attorney for civil litigation who had a conflict of interest. They also sought to amend their lawsuit to add additional claims with the recent discovery of facts.

In October, Film Allman contended that “the facts leading to the loss are far more nuanced than as presented by” New York Marine.

They cite evidence that before the accident, two passing CSX train crews “saw the film crew on and by the track and never reported it to their dispatch.” They also note that the engineer and conductor of the train that struck the set “saw that 20 people were on the trestle from 3/4 miles away, and never applied brakes of any kind to slow the train, which violated CSX’s own rules.”

The filmmakers, who are represented by Douglas Gastelum, also are raised doubts about whether they were even denied permission — or even if CSX actually owned or had authority over the tracks.

But Wright rejected Film Allman’s effort to amend their lawsuit, but said that Miller and Savin can pursue actions separately against the insurer.

He wrote that the “evidence shows that Film Allman employees knew that they had been denied permission to film on the tracks” prior to the accident.

He added that “without the crew’s unauthorized presence on the tracks, the accident would not have occurred. Any argument to the contrary regarding causation is illogical.”

Popular on Variety

More Film

  • The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

    Film News Roundup: Stephen King's 'Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon' Movie in the Works

    In today’s film news roundup, a Stephen King horror movie is in the works, “Downton Abbey” is seeing strong sales and a project about Revolutionary War soldier Deborah Sampson is in development. KING ADAPTATION Stephen King’s “The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon” has been set up as a movie at George A. Romero’s Sanibel Films, [...]

  • Moviepass

    MoviePass Confirms Security Issue With Customer Records

    MoviePass, the struggling movie ticket subscription service, has confirmed a security issue may have exposed customers’ records. In a statement, MoviePass said Wednesday that the security lapse was recently discovered and its system was immediately secured. Reports of the data breach first surfaced Tuesday through the Tech Crunch site, which alleged that tens of thousands [...]

  • Matthew Modine

    Matthew Modine Accused of Violating Labor Laws With Campaign Videos

    Matthew Modine has been accused by SAG-AFTRA president Gabrielle Carteris of violating federal laws in his campaign to unseat Carteris. The production of three campaign videos for Modine by the for-profit New York Film Academy — on whose board Modine sits — has been blasted by Carteris for alleged violations of federal labor law prohibiting [...]

  • Ready or Not Movie

    'Ready or Not,' 'Angel Has Fallen' Enter Box Office Race

    Three more contenders are joining what has lately been a hostile box office arena. Can anyone emerge from August victorious? Fox Searchlight’s “Ready or Not,” a black comedy about a diabolical game of hide-and-seek, will debut in 2,244 North American theaters on Wednesday. The low-budget film is expected to earn upwards of $6.5 million over [...]

  • Rules Don't Apply

    Warren Beatty and Arnon Milchan Settle Suit Over 'Rules Don't Apply' Flop

    Arnon Milchan and Warren Beatty have settled their two-year legal battle over the disastrous release of “Rules Don’t Apply,” Beatty’s period drama about Howard Hughes. Milchan’s attorneys have filed a notice with the court dismissing his suit against Beatty. Terms of the settlement were not disclosed. Milchan’s company, New Regency, sued Beatty and other investors [...]

  • Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro attends a

    Bolsonaro LGBTQI Outburst, Subsidy Freeze, Stirs Outrage

    Ramping up the drive into censorship in Brazil, its Minister of Citizenship, Omar Terra, has suspended a call for applications for governmental TV funding – until new criteria are established for its application. The country’s secretary for culture, Henrique Pires, who reports to Terra, has resigned in protest of the incentive freeze. The suspension, for [...]

  • Adam Brody'Ready or Not' film premiere,

    Adam Brody to Executive Produce, Star in 'The Kid Detective'

    “Ready or Not’s” Adam Brody has signed on to star in “The Kid Detective.” Sophie Nelisse will co-star in the dramedy from writer-director Evan Morgan. Brody will star as a once-celebrated kid detective, now 31, who continues to solve the same trivial mysteries between hangovers and bouts of self-pity until a 16-year-old client (Nelisse) brings [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content