UPDATED: Leslie Jones has announced that she is leaving Twitter following the countless racist comments she has received, tweeting “I leave Twitter tonight with tears and a very sad heart. All this cause I did a movie. You can hate the movie but the shit I got today…wrong.”
One of the stars in Sony’s “Ghostbusters” reboot, Leslie Jones, spent the day Monday retweeting some of the hateful and racists tweets she has received since the film released Friday.
It’s no secret that the film’s stars had been the target for plenty of Internet trolls since the film was announced and initially Jones said she had just been blocking all the haters that tweeted at her. Today she took a different tactic.
“You know I’m gonna stop blocking so y’all can go through my feed yourself and see the bs,” she said in a tweet. “You won’t believe the evil. It’s f**king scary.”
Jones said in some of her retweets that she was “scared for our future.” Through all the racist and misogynistic tweets, several celebrities came to the actress’ side, including “Ghostbusters” director Paul Feig and co-writer Katie Dippold.
Other actors also came to the defense of Jones.
The “Saturday Night Live” star also tweeted “I’m not stupid to not know racism exists. And I know it will probably live on way after me. But we have to make people take responsibility.”
And, “Stop saying ignore them or that’s just the way it is. Cause that’s bullshit. Everybody knows an asshole check them for their hate.”
After the situation picked up traction on Monday, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey tweeted at Jones, asking her to send him a direct message.