Disney has confirmed that it will make only one “Avengers: Infinity” movie rather than the two it had announced previously.
Disney said on Friday that it still plans to release Marvel’s “Avengers: Infinity War” as planned on May 4, 2018. But what was slated to be the second part in that story, “Avengers: Infinity War Part II,” has now been renamed as an “Untitled Avengers” project while retaining the May 3, 2019 release date.
The two “Infinity War” movies were announced together in October, 2014, with both directed by Anthony and Joe Russo. Two months ago, the Russo brothers told the Uproxx site that the third and fourth Avengers were being retitled in part to clarify that the films would be two separate films rather than one large film split in half.
Production of “Avengers: Infinity War” is expected to begin later this year. The Russos are directing from a script by the writing team of Christopher Marcus and Stephen McFeely with a back story based on immensely powerful Infinity Gems described in various Marvel stories.
The Russo brothers directed “Captain America: Winter Soldier” and “Captain America: Civil War,” which became 2016’s top worldwide grosser with $1.16 billion. Joss Whedon directed 2012’s “The Avengers” and 2015’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron.”
The two “Avengers” films have grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide. “The Avengers” is the fifth highest grosser of all time at $1.52 billion and “Age of Ultron” is the seventh highest at $1.41 billion.
Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner starred in both movies. Downey and Renner have been confirmed to appear in “Infinity Wars.”