Sources have told Variety that Pitt, along with Paramount and Skydance, is in talks with David Fincher to direct the follow-up to the 2013 smash hit.
Pitt, who’s returning to star in and produce the next “World War Z” installment, recently met with a handful of other directors, but is said to be zeroing in on Fincher for the pic, which is expected to start filming in early 2017.
Skydance and Paramount had no comment on the development.
According to sources, Fincher and Pitt met two weeks ago to discuss the possibility of Fincher boarding the zombie tentpole. The talks were initially lukewarm, but sources now tell Variety that negotiations are much further down the road and that other director currently has an offer.
A Fincher-Pitt reunion on “World War Z” would mark their fourth film together, having previously collaborated on “Se7en,” “Fight Club” and “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.”
Fincher hasn’t directed a feature film since 2014’s “Gone Girl.” The filmmaker has been turning his attention to television as of late. He recently shot the Netflix pilot “Mind Hunters.”
Sources say Fincher, who is weary of sequels, having aired his displeasure during his time on “Alien 3,” has always been open to listening to Pitt when the actor reaches out. The duo nearly worked together on a reboot of “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea” for Disney a few years ago but that collaboration never materialized.
Paramount’s “World War Z” sequel was previously dated to open June 9, 2017. After losing Bayona, however, the studio is expected to delay the film’s release.
The original “Z” was a massive hit, having grossed $540 million worldwide despite a rocky production, which included extensive re-shoots.
Plot details are unknown for the sequel, other than it still being set during a zombie apocalypse.
“World War Z” is based on the best-selling novel by Max Brooks.