×

‘Conjuring 2’ Tops $300 Million at Worldwide Box Office

New Line Cinema’s supernatural horror thriller “The Conjuring 2” has grossed over $300 million at the worldwide box office.

The sequel has grossed $101.4 million at the domestic box office so far and $204.5 million in 60 international markets with a few small territories yet to release.

New Line said 2013’s “The Conjuring,” which grossed nearly $320 million worldwide, and “The Conjuring 2,” are now the highest grossing horror films worldwide after 1973’s “The Exorcist.” It also said the “Conjuring” universe — consisting of “The Conjuring,” “Annabelle” and “The Conjuring 2”— is now the third-highest grossing horror franchise worldwide, earning more than $882 million.

New Line is already working on another movie for the universe, announcing last month that it was developing “The Nun” as a spinoff movie based on the demonic character in “The Conjuring 2.”

The studio has tapped David Leslie Johnson, who co-wrote “Conjuring 2” with Chad and Carey Hayes, to write the script. Producers are Wan, who directed the two “Conjuring” movies and produced the sequel, and Peter Safran, who produced both movies.

No director or actors have been set yet for “The Nun.” The demon nun came to life in ‘The Conjuring 2’” in a painting by Patrick Wilson’s paranormal investigator Ed Warren and later attacked Vera Farmiga’s Lorraine Warren character.

“The Conjuring 2” deals with the 1977 case of demonic possession of an 11-year-old British girl, played by Madison Wolfe.

Wan is also the producer on New Line’s “Lights Out,” opening Friday, which marks the feature directorial debut of David F. Sandberg

Popular on Variety

More Film

  • 'Blue Story' Review: A British Invasion

    'Blue Story': Film Review

    The blockbusters will be postponed, the indie films in many cases will head straight to streaming. But even before the apple cart of movie distribution got tipped over, “Blue Story” had traced an unlikely path. , it was written and directed by Andrew Onwubolu, the London-based rapper, producer, actor, and director who bills himself as [...]

  • Battle of Jangsari

    Megan Fox’s ‘Battle of Jangsari’ Inks Multiple Sales Deals

    Korean-made war film “Battle of Jangsari,” which features Megan Fox in a key role as a front line reporter, is set to play in multiple European and Asian territories. The film already had a deal with WellGo USA for North America. Seoul-based sales agent, Finecut said that it had additionally licensed the film to Pandastorm [...]

  • Doc Edge 2019 Forum

    New Zealand’s Doc Edge Festival To Shift Online

    Doc Edge, New Zealand’s annual factual film festival, will this year become an online-only event. Instead of cancelling due to the disruptions to production and travel caused by the coronavirus outbreak, the festival will move all screenings and events into the virtual space. The virtual festival is scheduled to run between May 28 and June [...]

  • SAG-AFTRA HQ

    SAG-AFTRA Health Plan Cuts Premiums by 50% Due to Coronavirus Crisis

    The SAG-AFTRA Health Plan has cut 50% from the cost of premiums for the second quarter in response to the coronavirus crisis. SAG-AFTRA members were notified of the reduction on Wednesday via a message from SAG-AFTRA president Gabrielle Carteris and national executive director David White. They said the cuts would cover participants who had been [...]

  • Dolly Parton at the Grand Ole

    Film News Roundup: Dolly Parton Donates $1 Million for Research on Coronavirus Cure

    In today’s film news roundup, Dolly Parton makes a donation for coronavirus cure, Howie Mandel and Ashlee Simpson join the voice cast of “Pierre The Pigeon-Hawk” and American Documentary launches an artists emergency fund. RESEARCH DONATION Dolly Parton has donated $1 million to Nashville’s Vanderbilt Hospital to help aid research to find a cure for [...]

  • Amy Adams Jennifer Garner

    Jennifer Garner, Amy Adams on 'Save With Stories,' Helping Children During Coronavirus Quarantine

    Jennifer Garner and Amy Adams are opening their contact lists for their new endeavor to help children during the coronavirus pandemic. Not long after the U.S. came to a screeching halt because of COVID-19, the two superstars launched “SaveWithStories,” an Instagram account that features celebrities and other notable figures reading children’s books. The line-up already [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content