“Civil War” comprised 90% of Fandango’s weekend ticket sales, surpassing “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” “Avengers: Age of Ultron” and “The Avengers.”
“With an ‘Avengers’-sized ensemble cast, stellar advance reviews, the introduction of a new Spider-Man and new characters like Black Panther, the widespread anticipation for Thursday night’s debut of ‘Captain America: Civil War’ is massive,” says Fandango Managing Editor Erik Davis.
The tentpole will open Friday in the U.S. with forecasts of a launch in the $200 million range. The superhero tale topped $200 million in its opening weekend in 63 international markets last weekend.
The film promises a duel between Chris Evans’ Captain America and Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man.
According to a survey of more than 1,000 “Captain America: Civil War” fans on Fandango:
· 92% have seen all of the previous Marvel films starring Chris Evans as Captain America
· 87% are intrigued by Spider-Man’s presence alongside the Marvel Cinematic Universe heroes for the first time
· 85% are excited to see Chadwick Boseman’s debut as Black Panther
· 68% plan to see “Captain America: Civil War” multiple times in the theater
· 65% claim the positive reviews from critics have increased their excitement to see the movie
· 48% chose Black Widow as the Avenger they’d most want to see in a standalone movie (for a character that doesn’t have one yet)