×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Suspect in Killings Inspired by ‘The Purge,’ Officials Say

Indianapolis police have alleged that a 19-year-old man accused of three murders was inspired by Universal’s franchise “The Purge.”

According to court documents, Johnathan Cruz told a juvenile informant on May 15 that he had been “Purging,” referring to the premise of the horror film series “The Purge.” The films are set in a near-future in which the U.S. government designates a 12-hour period where all crimes, including murder, are legal.

“KM stated that that Jonathan Cruz told her about shooting and robbing several people,” the affidavit from Det. Brian Schemenaur said. “Cruz told her he had been ‘Purging.’ ‘Purging’ was in reference to the 2013 American action horror film ‘The Purge’ in which the United States government sanctioned an event in which all crimes to include rape, murder, arson, assault and theft is legal from 7 pm to 7 am the next day.”

KM also told Schemenaur that Cruz told her that he had shot a man in the back of the head and neck area two times, had seen him with a black .22 caliber revolver and had seen him with bloody clothing, according to the affidavit. The document also said Cruz had attempted to show her a video on his phone of the shooting, in which she heard gunshots and saw a body fall.

Schemenaur said that the details of KM’s account, given at police headquarters, were consistent with the the murders of Billy Boyd and Jay Higginbotham on May 12. Cruz is also accused of the May 15 murder of Joe Ruiz.

“The Purge” was Blumhouse’s first production in 2013 under its first-look deal with Universal. The sci-fi thriller, starring Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey (“Game of Thrones”), became a major success, earning $89 million globally on a $3 million budget.

The second installment, “The Purge: Anarchy,” took in $108 million worldwide. Jason Blum is producing again along with Sebastien Lemercier and Platinum Dunes partners Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form.

Universal and Blumhouse declined to comment Thursday  in response.

Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry said in the probable cause affidavit that the four-day spree is affiliated with criminal gang activity. He said at a news conference Wednesday that the victims appeared to be chosen at random and that no decision about seeking the death penalty would take place for at least 30 days.

After Curry announced the charges against Cruz, Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett released a statement: “Senseless acts of violence such as those alleged in this case are incomprehensible, but thanks to the swift actions of IMPD detectives, Prosecutor Terry Curry and witnesses willing to come forward, we are one step closer to providing answers for these victims’ families.”

The third iteration of the franchise, “The Purge: Election Year,” opens July 1 with Elizabeth Mitchell starring as a U.S. Senator running for president on a pledge to end The Purge.

More Film

  • Apollo 11

    Film News Roundup: 'Armstrong' Doc Set for Release on 50th Anniversary of Moon Landing

    In today’s film news roundup, a Neil Armstrong documentary and “The Invisible Man” get release dates, “Forrest Gump” and “Saving Private Ryan” get re-released and Patrick Fugit gets cast. RELEASE DATES Gravitas Ventures has bought worldwide rights to the Neil Armstrong documentary “Armstrong” and will open the film on July 12 in theaters and on [...]

  • Inside Goop's Wellness Summit With Gwyneth

    Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop Summit Proves Hollywood Retirement Is Working for Her

    Across the country on Saturday, movie theaters sold over $12 million in tickets to “Avengers: Endgame,” helping it amass $771 million in the U.S. since its release in April. On the same day, in a stunning urban greenhouse complex in DTLA, the film’s supporting star Gwyneth Paltrow counted tickets of her own — pricey, perk-loaded [...]

  • Johnny Depp

    Johnny Depp's Ex-Lawyers Claim He Owes $350,000

    Johnny Depp was hit with a $350,000 lawsuit on Monday from a law firm that claims he has not paid his bills. Depp retained Buckley LLP in the fall of 2017 to sue his former entertainment law firm, Bloom Hergott LLP, which he accused of pocketing $30 million in fees without a written agreement. Three [...]

  • Keanu Reeves stars as 'John Wick'

    'John Wick 4' Confirmed With a 2021 Release Date

    John Wick will be back in exactly two years and a day. Lionsgate announced Monday that it has scheduled “John Wick 4” for May 21, 2021. The studio made the announcement via a text message to fans: “You have served. You will be of service. John Wick: Chapter 4 is coming – May 21, 2021.” [...]

  • Krysanne Katsoolis Sets Up Viewpark With

    Krysanne Katsoolis Sets Up Viewpark With $200 Million Fund

    Veteran film industry executive Krysanne Katsoolis has launched Viewpark, which will finance, package and release high-end film and TV content. Viewpark has partnered with former Wall Street executive Keith Price’s Obsidian Asset Management to create a multi-million dollar fund for the production and marketing of its slate, Katsoolis told Variety. Obsidian, based in London and [...]

  • Elle FanningChopard Trophee dinner, 72nd Cannes

    Elle Fanning Faints at Cannes Dinner Party

    Elle Fanning, a member of this year’s Cannes jury, had a brief scare Monday night when she fainted at the Chopard Trophee dinner. Festival director Thierry Fremaux had just introduced actor Francois Civil onstage when Fanning, star of “The Beguiled” and “Maleficent,” collapsed and fell off her chair nearby. Fanning was sitting at a table [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content