Lionsgate and Interscope Records have announced that the original motion picture soundtrack for Damien Chazelle’s big Oscar-contending musical “La La Land” will drop on Dec. 9, the same day the film opens in limited release.
Speaking to Variety about the various songs from the film earlier this year, Hurwitz said “City of Stars” had a similar process to the other big emotional number of the film, “Audition (The Fools Who Dream)” in that they began very modestly at the piano in the demo stage.
“I was just composing it from an emotional place and thinking about the tone,” Hurwitz said. “I would say the tone is hopeful, but melancholy at the same time. And it kind of goes back-and-forth between cadencing in major and cadencing in minor, because I think that’s kind of what the song is about. You have these great moments and then you have these less great moments in life and in Los Angeles and we see it happen in the story.”
Songs on the soundtrack were written by Justin Hurwitz, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul. The album was produced by Hurwitz, Marius de Vries and Steven Gizicki.
The track-listing for “La La Land: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack” is as follows:
1. “Another Day Of Sun” (La La LandCast)
2. “Someone in the Crowd” (Emma Stone, Callie Hernandez, Sonoya Mizuno, Jessica Rothe)
3. “Mia & Sebastian’s Theme” (Justin Hurwitz)
4. “A Lovely Night” (Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone)
5. “Herman’s Habit” (Justin Hurwitz)
6. “City of Stars” (Ryan Gosling)
7. “Planetarium” (Justin Hurwitz)
8. “Summer Montage / Madeline” (Justin Hurwitz)
9. “City of Stars” (Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone)
10. “Start A Fire” (John Legend)
11. “Engagement Party” (Justin Hurwitz)
12. “Audition (The Fools Who Dream)” (Emma Stone)
13. “Epilogue” (Justin Hurwitz)
14. “The End” (Justin Hurtwitz)
15. “City of Stars (Humming)” (Justin Hurwitz featuring Emma Stone)