Bollywood stars Aamir Khan and Hema Malini joined ministers escaping a fire that broke out at an event to promote India on Sunday in Mumbai, India.
As dancers performed at the Make in India show to invite foreign investment, video showed flames under the stage. had just left the stage whe the fire started, caused by a short circuit, according to local reports. It took firefighters 30 minutes to knock down the blaze.
— ANI (@ANI) February 14, 2016
About 8,000 guests including chief minister Devendra Fadnavis were able to escape. He has called for an investigation into the blaze at Chowpatty beach. A sea gust fanned the flames on the Nina Desai-designed stage.
The Make in India promotion, which started Saturday, is a weeklong affair to show off investment opportunities to reps from newly 70 countries.
“The police and fire departments did a wonderful job,” Khan told NDTV about the evacuation and fire suppression.
The evacuation was carried out smoothly resulting in no casualties and no panic. (2/3)
— Aamir Khan (@aamir_khan) February 14, 2016
Other dancers who were in the green room escaped to the sea when they heard panicked screams.
“There were over 1,000 people backstage in the green rooms or waiting their turn turn to perform,” dancer Pompi Mondol told newspaper Indian Express. “The wind direction was leading the fire toward where the most number of people were. Some of us had to break the green room and run.”