Ryan Lochte has been suspended for 10 months from all swimming competitions after making a false robbery report at the Rio Olympics, the United States Olympic Committee and USA Swimming announced on Thursday. The disciplinary measures for Lochte and fellow swimmers Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger, and James Feigen are effective immediately.
“As we have said previously, the behavior of these athletes was not acceptable. It unfairly maligned our hosts and diverted attention away from the historic achievements of Team USA,” said USOC CEO Scott Blackmun. “Each of the athletes has accepted responsibility for his actions and accepted the appropriate sanctions. We look forward to focusing our energy on the Paralympic Games and the incredible men and women representing our country in Rio.”
Lochte faces the most serious consequences following the scandal, with a 10 month suspension from domestic and international USA Swimming national team competitions, including the 2017 National Championships. He is also required to serve 20 hours of community service.
Bentz, Conger, and Feigen were dealt a less-grave four-month suspension. In addition, Bentz will be required to serve 10 hours of community service for violating the USA Swimming Olympic Village curfew placed on athletes under 21.
Additionally, all four Olympians must adhere to the following restrictions:
1. During the suspension, no monthly stipend from USA Swimming or the USOC.
2. During the suspension, no direct support or access to training centers or other facilities of the USOC.
3. Forfeits all USOC and USA Swimming medal funding for his gold medal at the 2016 Olympic Games.
4. Not permitted to join Team USA for its White House visit in connection with the Rio 2016 Games.
5. Not permitted to attend USA Swimming’s annual “Golden Goggles” event in 2016.
Lochte, who will compete on this season’s “Dancing With the Stars,” has yet to comment on the suspension.
|2016 Olympics: The Biggest Controversies to Come Out of Rio|