Reports emerged earlier on Thursday that Lochte was being summoned by Rio police. The police statement of the official charge, issued later on Thursday, says Lochte will be informed of the news in the U.S., and can decide whether or not to introduce a defense in Brazil.
The indictment will also be sent to the International Olympic Committee’s ethics commission.
Lochte had told press that he and three other U.S. swimmers — Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and Jimmy Feigen — were robbed at gunpoint by fake police officers after their taxi was pulled over. His account was brought into question, however, after a security video emerged of the four swimmers interacting with security guards after vandalizing a gas station bathroom.
Lochte recently admitted that he “over-exaggerated” the story. He said he was intoxicated at the time and his “immature behavior” was to blame for the issue.
“I’m taking full responsibility for it,” he told NBC’s Matt Lauer in an Aug. 20 interview.
He found himself in further hot water after the admission, drawing ire from the Brazilian government and losing three of his biggest sponsors: Speedo, Ralph Lauren and Syneron Candela.