×

Lindsay Lohan’s Suit Against ‘Grand Theft Auto’ Is Dismissed

A New York State appeals court Thursday threw out a lawsuit against the makers of “Grand Theft Auto V,” finding that a purported parody of Lindsay Lohan was protected speech under the First Amendment.

Lohan sued Take-Two Interactive Software in 2014, claiming that the game featured a character that copied her “bikini, shoulder-length blonde hair, jewelry, cell phone, and ‘signature peace sign’ pose” without securing her permission.

Karen Gravano, a star of the reality show “Mob Wives,” also sued the game-maker, contending that a character that seemed to be based on her violated her right to privacy.

But in its ruling Thursday, the court found that the game contains original storylines and dialogue, rendering it a work of “fiction or satire” deserving of First Amendment protection.

The court also noted that the game does not include any explicit reference to Lohan or Gravano.

“As to Lohan’s claim that an avatar in the video game is she and that her image is used in various images, defendants also never referred to Lohan by name or used her actual name in the video game, never used Lohan herself as an actor for the video game, and never used a photograph of Lohan,” the court ruled.

Gravano’s attorney, Thomas Farinella, told Reuters, “We’re clearly disappointed and are exploring our options.”

More Biz

  • Mergers and Deals Placeholder

    Tegna Confirms Two Acquisition Offers Withdrawn Amid Coronavirus Upheaval

    Tegna confirmed Sunday that two suitors for the station group have recently withdrawn acquisition offers, citing the upheaval in the broader marketplace caused by the coronavirus crisis. Tegna’s statement is the company’s first acknowledgement that it has received four unsolicited acquisition offers in recent weeks. Two of those have since been withdrawn while the other [...]

  • Prince Harry and Meghan Duchess of

    President Trump Says Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Must Pay for Own Security

    After moving to the U.S. and leaving the royal family behind, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle must now pay for their own security team, according to President Trump. Before recently relocating to the U.S., the couple had been living in Canada under the watch and protection of British security and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. [...]

  • Donald Trump Anthony Fauci

    Trump Boasts of Coronavirus TV Ratings as Fauci Warns: 200,000 People Could Die in U.S.

    UPDATE: President Donald Trump announced in a press conference Sunday afternoon that the country’s social distancing guidelines have been extended to April 30 and that the peak death rate will hit in two weeks. “Nothing would be worse than declaring victory before the victory has been won. Therefore we will be extending our guidelines to April [...]

  • Queen Elizabeth

    Queen Elizabeth's Footman Diagnosed with Coronavirus (Report)

    Coronavirus remains firmly in the royal orbit as one of Queen Elizabeth’s footmen has reportedly tested positive for COVID-19. The royal footman, who regularly walks the Queen’s dogs and was in regular contact with the monarch, is now in self-isolation after falling ill with coronavirus, according to British tabloid The Sun. The revelation comes just [...]

  • A police line forbids the access

    L.A. County Orders Closure of Beaches and Hiking Trails

    Those hoping to escape to the beach this weekend after being pent up at home are out of luck. On Friday, Los Angeles County ordered the closure of beaches and hiking trails, hoping to avoid the crowds that could cause the spread of the coronavirus. State and local officials had previously ordered the closure of [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content