×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Hulk Hogan Awarded $115 Million in Gawker Sex Tape Lawsuit

A Florida jury awarded Hulk Hogan $115 million in his sex tape lawsuit against Gawker Media, stemming from a 2012 blog post.

The outcome comes after two weeks of testimony and six hours of deliberation on Friday.

The jury found that the news outlet violated Hogan’s privacy by posting the tape online, and that Hogan suffered severe emotional distress in the last three years since Gawker published excerpts of a video, which Hogan claimed was secretly recorded, of the former WWE star having sex with the then-wife of his best friend, radio “shock jock” Bubba the Love Sponge. The video was posted five years after it was recorded and was viewed 2.5 million times on the Gawker site.

Hogan cried and hugged attorney David Houston when the verdict was announced.

Hogan, whose real name is Terry Bollea, was the first to take the witness stand and testified that the publication of the sex tape has “turned my world upside down” and “completely humiliated” him.

Hogan said last week during the trial in St. Petersburg, Fla. that he is “not the same person I was before all this craziness happened.”

“My problem is this whole videotape that you guys put out that lives forever,” Hogan said. “It will be there forever on the Internet.”

Gawker argues that its publication of the footage was protected by the First Amendment.

“I believe in total freedom and information transparency,” said founder Nick Denton in court. “I’m an extremist when it comes to that.”

Denton released a statement on Friday following the ruling.

“Given key evidence and the most important witness were both improperly withheld from this jury, we all knew the appeals court will need to resolve the case,” he said. “I want to thank our lawyers for their outstanding work and am confident that we would have prevailed at trial if we had been allowed to present the full case to the jury. That’s why we feel very positive about the appeal that we have already begun preparing, as we expect to win this case ultimately.”

Hogan won $115 million — $60 million for emotional distress and $55 million for economic damages ($15 million more than he had sought) — with the possibility of receiving more as the jury considers punitive damages and other matters.

Legal experts were shocked by the size of the damages.

“It is a staggering verdict to say the least,” said Pierce O’Donnell of Greenberg Glusker. “It is highly likely that the trial judge will reduce the amount of the award, and if the judge does not grant a reduction, it is highly likely that the appellate court will do so.”

He added, “From what I know, [the award] bears no rational relationship to the sexual privacy interest by Hulk Hogan, nor does it bear any relationship to the amount that Gawker reaped from playing the video. This is what we call a runaway jury.”

Bradley Ellis, partner at Sidley & Austin in Los Angeles, said that it is “never good to have a verdict of this magnitude against a media defendant because by its very nature it chills speech, and will only encourage additional lawsuits.

“I think as much as anything, people are genuinely concerned — and perhaps angry — about the erosion of privacy in today’s world, and this case presented the perfect defendant and set of facts for a skilled trial lawyer to use to get a jury very angry.”

More Biz

  • Daily Show Viacom

    DirecTV, Viacom Avert Blackout After Marathon Negotiation

    DirecTV and Viacom have agreed on a carriage renewal pact covering a raft of Viacom’s cable channels after a marathon negotiation over the weekend. In a joint statement early Monday, the companies said: “We are pleased to announce a renewed Viacom-AT&T contract that includes continued carriage of Viacom services across multiple AT&T platforms and products. [...]

  • Discovery CEO David Zaslav Sees 2018

    Discovery CEO David Zaslav Sees 2018 Compensation Soar to $129.4 Million

    Discovery Inc. president-CEO David Zaslav is once again making headlines for an enormous compensation package. Zaslav’s 2018 compensation soared to $129.44 million in 2018, fueled by stock options and grants awarded as the longtime Discovery chief signed a new employment contract last July that takes him through 2023 at the cable programming group. Zaslav received [...]

  • Jonathan Lamy RIAA

    Jonathan Lamy Stepping Down From RIAA

    Jonathan Lamy, the Recording Industry Association of America’s longtime executive VP of communications and marketing, is stepping down from his post after 17 years, he announced today. As he put it in an email to Variety, “I started back in 2002, which means it’s been 17+ years, four different RIAA CEOs, three format changes and [...]

  • Fox Layoffs

    Disney-21st Fox Layoffs: TV Divisions Brace for Deep Cuts

    A second day of layoffs has begun on the Fox lot in the wake of Disney completing its acquisition of 21st Century Fox on Wednesday. Longtime 20th Century Fox Television Distribution president Mark Kaner is among the senior executives who were formally notified with severance details on Friday morning. 21st Century Fox’s international TV sales [...]

  • anthony pellicano

    Hollywood Fixer Anthony Pellicano Released From Federal Prison

    Anthony Pellicano, the Hollywood private eye whose wiretapping case riveted the industry a decade ago, was released from a federal prison on Friday, a prison spokeswoman confirmed. Pellicano was sentenced in 2008 to 15 years, following his conviction on 78 charges of wiretapping, racketeering, conspiracy and wire fraud. He had been in custody since 2003, [...]

  • This image taken from the Twitter

    HBO’s Reaction to Trump’s ‘Game of Thrones’ Campaign

    Everyone wants a piece of the “Game of Thrones” lemon cake. From Bud Light to Red Bull the world of Westeros is open to a lot of brand partnerships, unless you’re using that iconic typeface to push a political agenda. In November of 2018 President Donald Trump unveiled a “Thrones” inspired poster with the words [...]

  • Leaving Neverland HBO

    'Leaving Neverland' Lawsuit Proves to Be a Judicial Hot Potato

    The Michael Jackson estate sued HBO last month for airing the documentary “Leaving Neverland,” which accuses the late King of Pop of serial child sexual abuse. Since then, the case has had a difficult time finding a judge to handle it. Three federal judges have recused themselves in the last week, citing potential financial conflicts [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content