×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Hulk Hogan Awarded Additional $25 Million in Punitive Damages in Gawker Lawsuit

A Florida jury awarded Hulk Hogan $25 million in punitive damages on Monday in his lawsuit against Gawker Media, in addition to the $115 million that he was awarded last week.

That $25 million includes $10 million from Gawker owner Nick Denton, along with $15 million from Gawker and $100,000 from former Gawker editor-in-chief A.J. Daulerio.

That brings the total in the lawsuit, which Hogan brought against Gawker for the 2012 release of his sex tape, to $140 million. The first $115 million were compensatory damages for Hogan — the $15 million punitive ruling, however, is meant to deter defendants and others from engaging in similar conduct in the future.

In the initial ruling, made on Friday, the jury found that Gawker violated Hogan’s privacy by posting the tape, and that he suffered severe emotional distress from the leak. The video, shot five years before it was posted, showed Hogan having sex with the then-wife of “shock jock” Bubba the Love Sponge.

Hogan, whose real name is Terry Bollea, claimed that the video was recorded in secret. After being posted on Gawker, it was viewed 2.5 million times.

Gawker has indicated that it intends to appeal the massive damages.

“Soon after Hulk Hogan brought his original lawsuits in 2012, three state appeals court judges and a federal judge repeatedly ruled that Gawker’s post was newsworthy under the First Amendment,” Heather Dietrick, president & general counsel of Gawker Media, said in a statement shortly after the verdict was revealed. “We expect that to happen again — particularly because the jury was prohibited from knowing about these court rulings in favor of Gawker, prohibited from seeing critical evidence gathered by the FBI and prohibited from hearing from the most important witness, Bubba Clem.”

“There is so much this jury deserved to know and, fortunately, that the appeals court does indeed know,” the statement went on. “So we are confident we will win this case ultimately based on not only on the law but also on the truth.”

More Biz

  • Daily Show Viacom

    DirecTV, Viacom Avert Blackout After Marathon Negotiation

    DirecTV and Viacom have agreed on a carriage renewal pact covering a raft of Viacom’s cable channels after a marathon negotiation over the weekend. In a joint statement the companies said: “We are pleased to announce a renewed Viacom-AT&T contract that includes continued carriage of Viacom services across multiple AT&T platforms and products. The deal [...]

  • Discovery CEO David Zaslav Sees 2018

    Discovery CEO David Zaslav Sees 2018 Compensation Soar to $129.4 Million

    Discovery Inc. president-CEO David Zaslav is once again making headlines for an enormous compensation package. Zaslav’s 2018 compensation soared to $129.44 million in 2018, fueled by stock options and grants awarded as the longtime Discovery chief signed a new employment contract last July that takes him through 2023 at the cable programming group. Zaslav received [...]

  • Jonathan Lamy RIAA

    Jonathan Lamy Stepping Down From RIAA

    Jonathan Lamy, the Recording Industry Association of America’s longtime executive VP of communications and marketing, is stepping down from his post after 17 years, he announced today. As he put it in an email to Variety, “I started back in 2002, which means it’s been 17+ years, four different RIAA CEOs, three format changes and [...]

  • Fox Layoffs

    Disney-21st Fox Layoffs: TV Divisions Brace for Deep Cuts

    A second day of layoffs has begun on the Fox lot in the wake of Disney completing its acquisition of 21st Century Fox on Wednesday. Longtime 20th Century Fox Television Distribution president Mark Kaner is among the senior executives who were formally notified with severance details on Friday morning. 21st Century Fox’s international TV sales [...]

  • anthony pellicano

    Hollywood Fixer Anthony Pellicano Released From Federal Prison

    Anthony Pellicano, the Hollywood private eye whose wiretapping case riveted the industry a decade ago, was released from a federal prison on Friday, a prison spokeswoman confirmed. Pellicano was sentenced in 2008 to 15 years, following his conviction on 78 charges of wiretapping, racketeering, conspiracy and wire fraud. He had been in custody since 2003, [...]

  • This image taken from the Twitter

    HBO’s Reaction to Trump’s ‘Game of Thrones’ Campaign

    Everyone wants a piece of the “Game of Thrones” lemon cake. From Bud Light to Red Bull the world of Westeros is open to a lot of brand partnerships, unless you’re using that iconic typeface to push a political agenda. In November of 2018 President Donald Trump unveiled a “Thrones” inspired poster with the words [...]

  • Leaving Neverland HBO

    'Leaving Neverland' Lawsuit Proves to Be a Judicial Hot Potato

    The Michael Jackson estate sued HBO last month for airing the documentary “Leaving Neverland,” which accuses the late King of Pop of serial child sexual abuse. Since then, the case has had a difficult time finding a judge to handle it. Three federal judges have recused themselves in the last week, citing potential financial conflicts [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content