×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Fox News Cancels GOP Debate After Donald Trump, John Kasich Back Out

Fox News has canceled its upcoming GOP debate following Donald Trump’s announcement that he would not be participating.

In a phone interview on “Fox and Friends,” Trump said he “was very surprised when I heard that Fox called for a debate.” His rival John Kasich then indicated that he would not participate.

“I think we have had enough debates,” Trump said (via CBS News). “We have had 11 or 12 debates. I did really well on the last one. I think I have done well in all the debates… But I think we’ve had enough. How many times can the same people ask you the same question?”

He added: “Nobody told me about it. And I won’t be there, no. I’m making a very major speech in front of a very important group of people.”

That “very important group of people” turns out to be the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, which holds its annual conference in Washington, D.C., from March 20-22.

Fox News’ executive VP of news Michael Clemente confirmed that the debate had been cancelled in an email to Variety.

“On Feb. 20, the Republican National Committee announced that a GOP presidential primary debate would be held on March 21 in Salt Lake City,” Clemente said. “They offered that debate to Fox News Channel to host, provided there were enough candidates actively campaigning. This morning, Donald Trump announced he would not be participating in the debate. Shortly afterward, John Kasich’s campaign announced that without Trump at the debate, Kasich would not participate. Ted Cruz has expressed a willingness to debate Trump or Kasich — or both. But obviously, there needs to be more than one participant. So the Salt Lake City debate is cancelled.”

A source close to the matter explained that the network was slow to confirm the debate’s cancellation because Clemente was still trying to persuade Trump to participate. Trump himself admitted at the recent CNN debate that he was aware more debates were on the horizon. “I think they want to do two more debates, and I guess I’m pretty much okay with it,” he told CNN’s Chris Cuomo.

This is not the first debate Trump has elected to skip. He boycotted January’s Fox News debate, hosted by his media nemesis, Megyn Kelly. He continued to criticize her on Twitter on Tuesday.

The debates have proven a ratings bonanza for cable news networks, starting with Fox News’s first GOP debate in August, which drew a record 24 million viewers. Democratic debates have delivered smaller numbers, but still have shattered records. CNN’s coverage of the first Democratic debate in October drew 15.3 million viewers, setting a new record for the party’s primary debates.

The question now is whether there will be another GOP primary debate, after Trump’s declaration that “we’ve had enough.” The Democratic National Committee has debates slated for April and May, but no details and dates have been announced.

More Biz

  • Times Up Hollywood

    Time's Up Entertainment Announces New Industry Mentoring Initiative

    Time’s Up Entertainment, an affiliate of the Time’s Up coalition of women across industries working to improve workplace safety, has announced the “Who’s in the Room” industry mentoring initiative. The program’s goal is to increase the presence of people of color from diverse backgrounds in the entertainment industry’s executive ranks. Funded by a $500,000 grant from [...]

  • Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt in

    Paramount Inks Deal for Theme Park in South Korea

    Paramount Pictures has announced a deal to install a studio-branded theme park in an entertainment resort being developed in South Korea. The agreement was struck between Paramount and Mohegan Gaming & Entertainment, which owns the Inspire Integrated Entertainment Resort in the South Korean city of Incheon. Mohegan has invested KRW 2.8 trillion ($2.4 billion) in [...]

  • Davan Maharaj Mel Gibson

    L.A. Times Publisher's Lawyer Was Accused of Extorting Mel Gibson

    The attorney who negotiated a $2.5 million exit package for L.A. Times publisher Davan Maharaj was previously accused of using secret recordings to extort actor Mel Gibson. Surreptitious recordings also figure in the Maharaj case. NPR reported on Wednesday that Maharaj taped Tronc chairman Michael Ferro. According to the report, Ferro was heard on the [...]

  • 'Blurred Lines' Suit Ends With $5

    'Blurred Lines' Suit Ends With $5 Million Judgement Against Robin Thicke, Pharrell Williams

    After five years, the legal battle over the copyright of the Robin Thicke’s 2013 hit “Blurred Lines” has ended, with Marvin Gaye’s family being awarded a final judgment of nearly $5 million against the song’s primary writers, Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams, according to CNN and other reports. The pair were accused of copyright infringement [...]

  • WME Veteran Ari Greenburg Promoted to

    WME Veteran Ari Greenburg Promoted to President of Talent Agency

    WME veteran Ari Greenburg, one of the original Endeavor staffers who helped build the talent agency that became an industry powerhouse, has been promoted to president. Greenburg will oversee all daily operations across WME and its offices in Beverly Hills, New York, Nashville, London and Sydney. The promotion recognizes the role that Greenburg has played [...]

  • Alison Wenham Steps Down as CEO

    Alison Wenham Steps Down as CEO of WIN

    After 12 years at the helm of the Worldwide Independent Network, a global trade organization for the independent music industry, Alison Wenham is stepping down as Chief Executive, it was announced today. Prior to joining WIN full time in 2016 Alison was CEO of The Association of Independent Music (AIM), which she started in 1999. [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content