×

Donald Trump Zeroes in on Disney Layoffs in Bashing Guest Worker Visas

At Thursday’s GOP debate, Donald Trump said that he was changing his hard-line view of the H-1B visa program to recruit highly skilled workers, telling co-moderator Megyn Kelly that he was “softening the position, because we have to have talented people in this country.”

But just hours later, his campaign released a statement in which he bashed the H-1B program for allowing “temporary foreign workers, imported from abroad, for the explicit purpose of substituting for American workers at lower pay.”

A shift, then a shift back? Trump’s statement highlighted the need to crack down on H-1B abuse, citing in particular a story that is familiar to voters in Florida, which holds its primary on March 15: That is the case of 250 Walt Disney World IT workers who were laid off last year, their jobs transferred to foreign workers who obtained visas and were recruited by contractors.

GOP candidates have, from time to time, cited the case of the Disney workers in calling for cutting back the number of H-1B visas, or adding further restrictions, but Trump in particular has focused on the layoffs.

In his statement, Trump said that he would be “ending outrageous practices such as those that occurred at Disney in Florida when Americans were forced to train their foreign replacements.”

Trump’s campaign highlighted the Disney workers at a recent campaign event. 

On Sunday, two of the former IT workers, Dena Moore and Leo Perrero, appeared at a Trump rally in Alabama, according to Computerworld. They each have filed class action lawsuits against Disney, with Moore also naming as a defendant Cognizant Technology Solutions and Perrero naming HCL Inc.

Last week, Perrero testified before a Senate subcommittee, chaired by Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), who has endorsed Trump, and recounted to lawmakers being told that he and about two dozen other others would be laid off, their jobs transferred to foreign workers, and that they would be required to train them as a condition of their severance.

“We all felt extremely humiliated when the foreign workers sat next to us, and watched everything that we did,” he said.

Tech companies have sought to expand the visa program, as part of calls for immigration reform. Even though Trump at the debate appeared to side with Silicon Valley in their call for more highly skilled workers, he has also bashed rival Marco Rubio, who has sponsored legislation to increased the cap on such visas, which are designed to enable companies to temporarily employ workers in specialty occupations.

A spokeswoman for Disney did not immediately return a request for comment.

The company has said that many of the workers got new jobs at the company, while others retired. Disney employs about 74,000 workers in the central Florida area.

Still, Trump’s campaign seems determined to use the issue of the Disney workers to give the issue visibility in Florida. If Rubio wins there, it would raise some doubts about Trump’s ability to amass a majority of delegates before the GOP convention in July. If Trump wins the Sunshine State, it may go a long way toward eliminating a competitor he has taken to dismiss as “little Marco.”

More Biz

  • CBS This Morning Ed Sullivan Theater

    'CBS This Morning' Team Anchors From Home Because of Coronavirus Precautions

    “CBS This Morning” has opted to keep its three anchors working from home in light of the expanding coronavirus crisis in New York. Gayle King, Anthony Mason and Tony Dokoupil anchored the show from their respective homes on Monday. King told viewers at the top of the 7 a.m.-9 a.m. ET broadcast that the move [...]

  • Spanish tenor Placido Domingo during the

    Opera Singer Plácido Domingo Hospitalized with Coronavirus

    Spanish opera singer Plácido Domingo has been hospitalized in Acapulco, Mexico, for coronavirus. “He is doing well and is responding to treatment,” Domingo’s spokesperson told CNN on Sunday. On March 22, the 79-year-old Domingo revealed via his Facebook page that he had tested positive for COVID-19. “I beg everyone to be extremely careful, follow the basic [...]

  • Mergers and Deals Placeholder

    Tegna Confirms Two Acquisition Offers Withdrawn Amid Coronavirus Upheaval

    Tegna confirmed Sunday that two suitors for the station group have recently withdrawn acquisition offers, citing the upheaval in the broader marketplace caused by the coronavirus crisis. Tegna’s statement is the company’s first acknowledgement that it has received four unsolicited acquisition offers in recent weeks. Two of those have since been withdrawn while the other [...]

  • Prince Harry and Meghan Duchess of

    President Trump Says Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Must Pay for Own Security

    After moving to the U.S. and leaving the royal family behind, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle must now pay for their own security team, according to President Trump. Before recently relocating to the U.S., the couple had been living in Canada under the watch and protection of British security and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. [...]

  • Donald Trump Anthony Fauci

    Trump Boasts of Coronavirus TV Ratings as Fauci Warns: 200,000 People Could Die in U.S.

    UPDATE: President Donald Trump announced in a press conference Sunday afternoon that the country’s social distancing guidelines have been extended to April 30 and that the peak death rate will hit in two weeks. “Nothing would be worse than declaring victory before the victory has been won. Therefore we will be extending our guidelines to April [...]

  • Queen Elizabeth

    Queen Elizabeth's Footman Diagnosed with Coronavirus (Report)

    Coronavirus remains firmly in the royal orbit as one of Queen Elizabeth’s footmen has reportedly tested positive for COVID-19. The royal footman, who regularly walks the Queen’s dogs and was in regular contact with the monarch, is now in self-isolation after falling ill with coronavirus, according to British tabloid The Sun. The revelation comes just [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content