×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Eagles of Death Metal Frontman Slammed by Bataclan for Hinting Security Knew of Paris Attacks

Bataclan owners have reacted to Eagles of Death Metal’s frontman Jesse Hughes’ claims that the Paris venue’s “security had a reason not to show up” on Nov. 13, the night of the terror attack that killed 89 people during EODM’s concert.

“Jesse Hughes spread some very grave and defamatory accusations against the Bataclan teams,” a Bataclan rep said in a statement, which called Hughes’ claims “insane.” “A judicial investigation is undergoing. We wish to let justice proceed serenely. All the testimonies gathered to this day demonstrate the professionalism and courage of the security agents who were on the ground on November 13. Hundreds of people were saved thanks to (these agents’) intervention.”

In an interview with Fox Business Network, Hughes said one of the security guards had raised his suspicion because he didn’t look at him, but when he asked the promoter to replace him, he was told that the other guards had not yet arrived. “Eventually I found out that six or so wouldn’t show up at all. It seems rather obvious that they had a reason not to show up,” Hughes told Fox.

Last month, the controversial singer said France’s gun control laws were to blame for the Nov. 13 attacks’ death toll. “Did your French gun control stop a single person from dying at the Bataclan? If anyone can answer yes, I’d like to hear it, because I don’t think so,” said Hughes in an interview for TV news channel iTele that aired on the eve of the band’s comeback on a Parisian stage. “I think the only thing that stopped it was some of the bravest men that I’ve ever seen in my life charging head-first into the face of death with their firearms.

“I know people will disagree with me, but it just seems like God made men and women, and that night guns made them equal. I think the only way that my mind has been changed is that maybe that until nobody has guns everybody has to have them.”

Shortly after those declaration, the band canceled the remainder of its European tour due to an injury to Hughes’ hand.

In a previous interview, Hughes had said Eagles of Death Metal would be the first band to perform at the Bataclan when it reopens, but it seems unlikely considering the singer’s recent accusations.

Meanwhile, the Bataclan released a statement last month announcing the start of the venue’s renovations, which are expected to be completed by the end of the year.

More Biz

  • Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt in

    Paramount Inks Deal for Theme Park in South Korea

    Paramount Pictures has announced a deal to install a studio-branded theme park in an entertainment resort being developed in South Korea. The agreement was struck between Paramount and Mohegan Gaming & Entertainment, which owns the Inspire Integrated Entertainment Resort in the South Korean city of Incheon. Mohegan has invested KRW 2.8 trillion ($2.4 billion) in [...]

  • Davan Maharaj Mel Gibson

    L.A. Times Publisher's Lawyer Was Accused of Extorting Mel Gibson

    The attorney who negotiated a $2.5 million exit package for L.A. Times publisher Davan Maharaj was previously accused of using secret recordings to extort actor Mel Gibson. Surreptitious recordings also figure in the Maharaj case. NPR reported on Wednesday that Maharaj taped Tronc chairman Michael Ferro. According to the report, Ferro was heard on the [...]

  • 'Blurred Lines' Suit Ends With $5

    'Blurred Lines' Suit Ends With $5 Million Judgement Against Robin Thicke, Pharrell Williams

    After five years, the legal battle over the copyright of the Robin Thicke’s 2013 hit “Blurred Lines” has ended, with Marvin Gaye’s family being awarded a final judgment of nearly $5 million against the song’s primary writers, Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams, according to CNN and other reports. The pair were accused of copyright infringement [...]

  • WME Veteran Ari Greenburg Promoted to

    WME Veteran Ari Greenburg Promoted to President of Talent Agency

    WME veteran Ari Greenburg, one of the original Endeavor staffers who helped build the talent agency that became an industry powerhouse, has been promoted to president. Greenburg will oversee all daily operations across WME and its offices in Beverly Hills, New York, Nashville, London and Sydney. The promotion recognizes the role that Greenburg has played [...]

  • Alison Wenham Steps Down as CEO

    Alison Wenham Steps Down as CEO of WIN

    After 12 years at the helm of the Worldwide Independent Network, a global trade organization for the independent music industry, Alison Wenham is stepping down as Chief Executive, it was announced today. Prior to joining WIN full time in 2016 Alison was CEO of The Association of Independent Music (AIM), which she started in 1999. [...]

  • Leslie Moonves

    Leslie Moonves Quietly Exits AFI and Paley Center Boards

    Leslie Moonves, the ousted CEO of CBS Corp. who has been accused of sexual misconduct by several women, is no longer serving on the boards of trustees of the American Film Institute and the Paley Center for Media. For now, Moonves retains his seat on the board of gaming company ZeniMax Media. The appointments on [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content