×

Wanda Closes Wuhan Movie Theme Park for Renovation

Wanda, the Chinese property to entertainment giant that is eyeing global expansion, has temporarily closed its Wuhan movie-flavored theme park.

The park, which the company claimed was the world’s first indoor theme park, opened only 20 months ago in December 2014. It was built at a cost of some $550 million (RMB3.8 billion)

In a statement the company said that the park closed on Sunday (July 31) for “renovation and upgrade works to better serve our guests with better content, as well as with a brand new experience.”

The company did not reveal the date of planned reopening, nor detail the upgrades. Theme parks are regularly expanded and upgraded, but these do not normally require the closure of the entire park.

Such a move would appear to dent the theme park ambitions of Wanda chairman Wang Jianlin, who in June said that Disney’s Shanghai Disney Resort was not welcome in China and would be beaten by the the challenge of Wanda’s multiple sites around the country.

The Wuhan park has six indoor attractions including a ‘soaring’ experience where visitors are mechanically lifted off the ground and are given the impression of flying by movements on a giant screen that fills their field of vision.

Wanda has invested heavily in Wuhan, in Central China. In addition to the theme park, it built a downtown shopping street, a spectacular red cylindrical theater for a permanent show created by Franco Dragone. It also operates two high end hotels, the Realm and the Reign, that face each other across a major  thoroughfare.

 

 

 

 

More Biz

  • Photo taken July 18, 2019, from

    More Than 20 Feared Dead in Arson Attack on Japan's Kyoto Animation

    UPDATED: More than 20 people are feared to have died Thursday morning in an arson attack on the Kyoto Animation company in Japan, shocking a nation in which extreme violence is very rare. Emergency services in Kyoto City received a call about 10:35 a.m. local time reporting an explosion on the first floor of the [...]

  • Haim Saban

    Haim Saban Pledges to Invest $500 Million to Launch Music Label

    Businessman, investor and philanthropist Haim Saban, who heads the Saban Capital Group, has pledged to invest $500 million to launch a record label. Saban Music Group (SMG) will be led by music executive Gustavo Lopez and focus on “international A&R, artist development and strategically supporting a 360 model for artists,” reads a release announcing SMG, [...]

  • Street scene Sunset Boulevard at night

    In Los Angeles, Rock and Roll Fights to Save the Sunset Strip

    On a recent Saturday evening on Sunset Boulevard, just beyond the nightly caravan of European sports cars and open-air tour buses that have seen better days, the famous Tower Records building was once again bathed in the familiar red and yellow paint job of the iconic music store that once occupied its stone-brick walls. Though [...]

  • Plume of black smoke rising from

    Universal Music Files Motion to Dismiss Lawsuit From Artists Claiming Fire Damage

    Universal Music Group filed a motion on Wednesday to dismiss a class-action lawsuit from attorneys representing Soundgarden, Hole, Steve Earle and the estates of Tupac and Tom Petty over master recordings reportedly destroyed in a 2008 fire, the extent of which was revealed last month in a New York Times article. UMG argues that the musicians cannot pursue a [...]

  • After Yet Another Rejection, What Could

    After Yet Another Rejection, What Could Be Next for Woodstock 50?

    In the wake of the Town of Vernon’s third rejection of Woodstock 50’s permit application to hold its music festival at a venue in the Upstate New York municipality, one may well wonder what the troubled event’s next move might be. In the hours after the latest rejection was announced, even the optimistic-bordering-on-unrealistic producers sounded [...]

  • US actor Kevin Spacey (C) is

    Kevin Spacey Sexual Assault Case Dropped in Nantucket

    Nantucket prosecutors have dropped a sexual assault case against actor Kevin Spacey, citing the “unavailability” of the complaining witness. Spacey had been accused of groping an 18-year-old busboy at the Club Car restaurant in July 2016. He was charged with indecent sexual assault, and a trial was set to be held in the fall. However, [...]

  • Plume of black smoke rising from

    Universal Music Updates Staff on Fire Damage in Internal Memo (Read)

    Ahead of an expected motion to dismiss the lawsuit filed last month by several artists over damage in the 2008 fire that destroyed hundreds of thousands of master recordings, according to the New York Times, the company’s chief archivist, Pat Kraus, issued a memo to the staff that has been obtained by Variety. While the [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content