“Young & Hungry” has been renewed for a third season.
ABC Family announced the pickup on Wednesday, hours before the comedy returns with the back half of its second season.
“We are so proud of how ‘Young & Hungry’ grew during its second season: It ranked as cable’s No. 1 original series in its timeslot in key demos,” said Karey Burke, EVP of programming and development at ABC Family. “We can’t wait to see what is next for this talented ensemble.”
Emily Osment (“Hannah Montana”) and Jonathan Sadowski (“$#*! My Dad Says”) star as the lead duo in the food blogger-inspired sitcom, along with cast members Aimee Carrero, Kym Whitley, and Rex Lee. The series, created by David Holden, hails CBS TV Studios with exec producers Ashley Tisdale, Jessica Rhoades, Caryn Lucas, Eric and Kim Tannenbaum.
In its 10 episodes this past spring (the first half of season two), “Young & Hungry” averaged a nothing-special 0.37 rating in adults 18-49 and about 740,000 viewers overall in same-night viewing. It did pick up steam, though, approaching 1 million viewers for its finale, which grew to 1.35 million in Live+3 Nielsen numbers.
Last week, after soft premiere ratings for new comedy “Kevin at Work,” ABC Family decided to move “Young & Hungry” to the 8 o’clock leadoff spot on Wednesdays, starting with tonight’s return.
Rick Kissell contributed to this report.