Universal Music Group has reorganized its international operations around a cluster of regional hubs in an effort to more effectively market and distribute on a worldwide basis.
UMG has also tapped Warner Music Group veteran Michael Nash to serve as exec VP of digital strategy, overseeing the label giant’s worldwide strategies. Nash reports to UMG chairman-CEO Lucian Grainge and has joined UMG’s newly formed executive management committee designed to facilitate better international coordination. UMG said it was particularly focused on boosting its presence in emerging markets such as Africa, India and China.
“The new executive management board and structure will enable us to drive change throughout the organization, meet the individual market’s unique needs and serve as the most effective partner to artists in what is more than ever a truly global business,” Grainge said. “Most importantly, this new structure will be able to accelerate the careers of our artists, by providing them with focused teams that are entrepreneurial and innovative and have the ability to seamlessly tap into the resources of the entire company.”
Among the other changes, Michele Anthony, UMG exec VP, expands her oversight to UMG’s Canadian operations. Andrew Kronfeld has been promoted to exec VP of marketing and will relocate from London, where he ran global market, to UMG’s Santa Monica headquarters.
Nash spent 11 years at WMG, rising to head of digital. Before that he led the pioneering digital music distribution venture the Madison Project. He also ran Inscape, a video game publishing joint venture of Warner Music and HBO, and worked as director of home video distrib Criterion Collection.
Members of UMG’s executive management committee, chaired by Grainge, are:
- Michele Anthony, Executive Vice President, UMG
- Frank Briegmann, President & CEO, Central Europe & Deutsche Grammophon
- Jody Gerson, Chairman and CEO of Universal Music Publishing Group
- Jeffrey Harleston, General Counsel and Executive Vice President of Business & Legal Affairs, UMG
- David Joseph, Chairman & CEO, Universal Music UK & Ireland
- Andrew Kronfeld, Executive Vice President, Marketing, UMG
- Boyd Muir, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, UMG
- Michael Nash, Executive Vice President, Digital Strategy, UMG
- Pascal Nègre, CEO of Universal Music France and President of Italy, Middle East and Africa
- Will Tanous, Executive Vice President, Communications, UMG
(Pictured: Michael Nash)