×

‘Twin Peaks’: Showtime, Others Work to Bring David Lynch Back

The fate of the “Twin Peaks” revival is still up in the air but efforts to get the project back on track with David Lynch on board as director are said to be intensifying.

Showtime topper David Nevins has reached out to Lynch directly to discuss the impasse over the series budget. Others connected to the project have been trying to find creative solutions that would allow Lynch to rejoin the fold.

Plans for Lynch and “Twin Peaks” co-creator Mark Frost to produce a sequel to the original ABC series were thrown in doubt Sunday after Lynch announced via Twitter that he was quitting the project over budget issues.

The situation with the famously eccentric director has been complicated by what sources say was the fact that Lynch had not been in contact with his longtime lawyer, Tom Hansen of Hansen Jacobson, before announcing his decision to depart. He is not believed to be repped by an agent or manager at the moment.

Hansen could not immediately be reached for comment on Wednesday evening.

Showtime announced in October plans to produce nine new episodes of “Twin Peaks,” picking up 25 years after the cult-fave ABC series ended in 1991. Showtime set a production deal directly with Frost and Lynch, who control the rights to the series — a rarity for writers even back in the days of the original series.

The tussle over the budget emerged after Lynch and Frost turned in the nine scripts they co-wrote and it became clear that the cost of production would be significantly higher than the budgets outlined in the original deal. Sources said Showtime was willing to kick in more coin but asked for concessions in other areas, including the profit participation definitions for Lynch and Frost.

Lynch had been on board to direct all nine episodes. Frost is said to be committed to the project and was also taken by surprise by Lynch’s public statements.

Showtime is understood to be wary of proceeding without Lynch out of concern that the show’s hard-core fans would trash any effort to produce a sequel series without him, even though he has already co-written the nine scripts.

A “Save Twin Peaks” petition has been circulating on the Internet, and on Wednesday some actors from the original series posted a video blasting the notion of “Twin Peaks” returning without Lynch at the helm. However, the list did not include the series’ leading man, Kyle MacLachlan, who is confirmed to star in the revival.

Popular on Variety

More TV

  • Wanda Sykes, Mike Epps to Star

    Wanda Sykes, Mike Epps to Star in Multi-Camera Comedy Series for Netflix

    Wanda Sykes and Mike Epps are headed to Netflix. The streamer has ordered a multi-camera comedy series starring the two comedians titled “The Upshaws.” The series centers on a working-class Africian American family in Indiana struggling to make it work and make it right without the blueprints to do it. Sykes will executive produce and [...]

  • Vader Streams Shuts Down

    Vader Streams Shut Down by Hollywood Studios

    A coalition of Hollywood studios and streaming companies announced on Tuesday that they have shut down Vader Streams, which was once a popular source of pirated TV content. The service went offline in early May under mysterious circumstances, leading to speculation that the operator had either absconded or been forced out of business. The Alliance [...]

  • Søren-Sveistrup

    Netflix Teams With 'The Killing' Creator for Crime Thriller 'The Chestnut Man'

    HAUGESUND, Norway  — Further expanding its Scandinavian footprint, Netflix has announced its second Danish original series, “The Chestnut Man,” a police thriller based on “The Killing” creator Søren Sveistrup’s popular novel. The streaming giant will team with Sveistrup’s SAM Productions, minority owned by Studiocanal, part of Vivendi Canal Plus Group, to deliver this noir-influenced literary [...]

  • Writers vs Agents Packaging War WGA

    ICM Blasts Writers Guild Over Withdrawal of State Lawsuit

    ICM Partners has slammed the leaders of the Writers Guild of America over its decision to withdraw from its state court lawsuit in favor of refiling the action in federal court. The agency, which was sued in April by the guild and eight WGA members over charging allegedly illegal packaging fees, issued a statement Tuesday [...]

  • succession

    'Succession' Renewed for Season 3 at HBO

    “Succession” has scored an early Season 3 renewal at HBO. The news comes as the critically-acclaimed drama series is just two episodes into its second season. Season 1 of the series was recently nominated for five Emmy Awards, including for best drama series. “We are elated that ‘Succession’ and its exploration of wealth, power and [...]

  • Kaley CuocoHilarity for Charity Sixth Annual

    Kaley Cuoco HBO Max Series 'The Flight Attendant' Sets Creative Team

    The creative team set to bring Kaley Cuoco’s dark comedy series “The Flight Attendant” to HBO Max has taken shape. The series, which tells the terrifying story of a flight attendant (Cuoco) who wakes up in the wrong hotel, in the wrong bed, with a dead man and no idea what happened, has tapped Susanna [...]

  • Mayim Bialik

    Mayim Bialik Signs Warner Bros. TV Production, Talent Holding Deal

    “The Big Bang Theory” star Mayim Bialik is expanding her relationship with the production studio behind the long-running CBS comedy. Bialik and her newly launched Sad Clown Productions banner have signed an exclusive multi-year production deal with the studio, coupled with a talent holding provision for her acting services. Bialik is bringing on former Chuck [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content