The new limited-series iteration of the cult-fave ABC series from David Lynch and Mark Frost had been targeting a 2016 premiere, but CBS Corp. chief Leslie Moonves said Tuesday during CBS’ third-quarter earnings conference call that the limited series would premiere in 2017. He touted it as a property that will likely drive subscriptions of Showtime’s newly launched standalone broadband offering.
The “Twin Peaks” sequel has been in the works for more than a year. But the project hit a speedbump earlier this year when Lynch and Showtime tussled over budget issues and the number of episodes to be produced. They wound up hammering out a deal that calls for the production of “more than nine” episodes, all directed by Lynch.
Showtime chief David Nevins acknowledged earlier this year at the Television Critics Assn. that the limited series might shift to 2017. The 2016 premiere date would have marked 25 years since the end of the original ABC series. A Showtime rep said a late 2016 premiere date is still a possibility.
Kyle MacLachlan and other original stars are lined up for the sequel.