×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Paris Attacks: U2 Pays Homage To Victims At Bataclan; Investigators Hunt For Suspects

PARIS — After canceling their two Paris concerts in the wake of terrorist attacks that killed 129 people, members of U2 visited the memorial site near the Bataclan to pay homage to the victims on Saturday night.

U2 had been scheduled for concerts at Paris’ AccorHotels Arena this weekend, the first of which was supposed to be telecast live on HBO. But the shows were hastily canceled amid the state of emergency declared by President Francois Hollande.

French media showed footage of Bono, the Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. somberly laying flowers at the memorial site strewn with candles and other tributes to the estimated 89 people who died while attending a performance by California band Eagles of Death Metal. Bono earlier condemned the attacks as a “direct hit on music.”

The Foo Fighters have also announced the end of their European tour and have canceled their concerts in Torino, Paris, Lyon and Barcelona.

Meanwhile, French investigators have made progress, having found one of the cars that was used by the terrorists in Montreuil, a suburb near Paris, according to AFP.

Inside the vehicle, police found Kalashnikovs. The car, a Black Seat, is suspected to be the one that was used by the terrorists who shot about 25 people sitting on terrasses of two cafes, according to Le Figaro.

Paris prosecutor said last night that the investigation has found that three groups of terrorists coordinated the attacks at six sites in Paris, including at the French Stadium during a soccer game France-Germany which Hollande was attending, as well as the Bataclan concert hall where 89 people killed, and at cafes across the city.

Investigators believe one of the three groups fled Paris and are currently hiding in Belgium. Police have so far made seven arrests near Bruxelles, per French reports. Two of the terrorists have been identified, per French reports. One of them was a Syrian man who was registered as a migrant in Greece in October, per Le Figaro. The other was a 29-year old French man who from Chartres near Paris; he had been arrested multiple times but never incarcerated. Although he was known by services as having been radicalized, he had never been linked to a terrorist attack, according to French network M6.

Many sites in Paris remain closed in the wake of Friday night’s coordinated assault. Notre Dame Cathedral is to reopen today for a special memorial mass led by Paris Cardinal Andre Vingt-Trois. “Our country knows the pain of mourning and must face barbarity propagated by fanatical groups,” the cardinal said in a message to parishioners.

Although Hollande has put France under a State of Emergency and advised against any large gatherings, Parisians took the streets on Sunday to pay tribute to the victims. Streets near the Bataclan, as well as Place de la Republique were packed throughout the day with people carrying signs saying “We are not afraid,” ” You Shall Not Kill” and “Je Suis Paris.” 

More TV

  • Contract Placeholder Business WGA ATA Agent

    Signs of Solidarity and Strain Emerge as Week 2 of WGA-Talent Agency Standoff Begins

    Hundreds of WGA members rallied solidly behind their union last week as the industry grappled with uncertainties spurred by the sudden break between writers and their talent agency representatives. But as the standoff heads into its second week, signs of strain among some WGA members are beginning to emerge. Shalom Auslander, author and creator of [...]

  • Jon Snow Arya Stark Game of

    'Game of Thrones' Final Season Vegas Odds Reveal Wild Theories

    With “Game of Thrones” hype at an all-time high, Las Vegas may be raking in as much money as the Iron Bank. HBO’s fantasy masterpiece has seized the gambling world’s attention nearly as much as the Super Bowl or Kentucky Derby. Fans spew countless theories on social media, such as which characters will be axed [...]

  • FX's 'Snowfall' Panel TCA Winter Press

    John Singleton Hospitalized After Suffering Stroke

    UPDATED with statements from John Singleton’s family and FX Networks John Singleton, the Oscar nominated director and writer of “Boyz N’ the Hood,” has suffered a stroke. Sources confirm to Variety that Singleton checked himself into the hospital earlier this week after experiencing pain in his leg. The stroke has been characterized by doctors as [...]

  • Adam Lambert, of Queen, performs at

    Adam Lambert Back to 'Idol' to Mentor Finalists Through Queen's Catalog

    Adam Lambert famously launched his career on “American Idol” a decade ago performing a brilliant audition of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody.” He wrapped that amazing eighth season performing with the band on the season finale, and years later earned his current spot as the front man touring as Queen + Adam Lambert. On April 28, Lambert comes full circle as he steps [...]

  • Lily Tomlin SAG Lifetime Acheivement Award

    TV News Roundup: Netflix's 'Laugh-In' 50th Anniversary Tribute Sets Premiere Date

    In today’s TV News roundup, Netflix sets the premiere date for its 50th anniversary special of “Laugh-In.” DATES “Laugh-In: The Stars Celebrate,” the 50th anniversary tribute to the original series by Dan Rowan and Dick Martin, will premiere on Netflix on May 14. The special, which was taped at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood, pays [...]

  • Texas Tech's Norense Odiase (32) shoots

    Live+3 Ratings for Week of April 8: NCAA Championship Game Dunks on Competition

    The final of the 2019 NCAA basketball tournament, in which Virginia triumphed over a spirited Texas Tech team, unsurprisingly finished way out in front in the Live+3 ratings for the week of April 8. Although the sports broadcast’s scripted competition made some gains, its 5.4 ratings still more than doubled that of “Grey’s Anatomy” in [...]

  • Mueller Report Release Draws 11 Million

    Mueller Report Release Draws 11 Million Total Viewers Across TV News

    Coverage of the release of special counsel Robert Mueller’s report into whether President Donald Trump committed obstruction of justice unsurprisingly caused a ratings bump across TV news yesterday. In terms of overall viewership, around 11 million people tuned in to see Attorney General William Barr’s news conference regarding the report’s release, and the news coverage surrounding it. According [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content