NBC Entertainment chief Bob Greenblatt announced the deal Thursday morning as part of the network’s Television Critics Assn. press tour presentation.
“We have locked him in as host of ‘The Tonight Show’ for six more years,” Greenblatt said. He praised the work that Fallon has done since taking over the show in February 2014. He also had kind words for Seth Meyers and the adjustment he made this week to the opening segment of “Late Night” — shifting from a traditional stand-up monologue delivery to a desk-based segment that looks more like the “Weekend Update” bit that Meyers anchored for years on “Saturday Night Live.”
“This is his strong suit,” Greenblatt said of Meyers. “The show had already been on a 2o-week ratings high. Heading into this crazy election year” the format shift was a good move, he said.
Fallon’s deal also includes some other programming components with NBC and Universal TV although Greenblatt declined to elaborate. Greenblatt said he would love to have Fallon host a primetime special or two for NBC but there are no immediate plans on the horizon.