×

Boosted by some record ratings for its annual “25 Days of Christmas” event, ABC Family has achieved a network first by winning the calendar year in its target young-female demo.

Nielsen estimates that the Disney-owned network averaged 250,000 women 18-34 during any average minute of primetime for 2014 — vaulting it ahead of  runners-up USA (243,000), MTV (235,000), TBS (218,000) and Bravo (196,000).

ABC Family also logged its highest annual primetime rank in adults 18-49 (No. 6, with 350,000 viewers) and viewers 12-34 (No. 6, with 509,000) and ranked among the top two cable networks for the third straight year in females 12-34 (366,000).

“Pretty Little Liars” — still the network’s No. 1 series on record —  finished 2014 as the year’s No. 2 cable series in females 12-34 (2.1 million) and ranked among basic cable’s top-five scripted series in adults 18-34 (1.5 million), women 18-34 (1.3 million), women 18-49 (1.7 million) and viewers 12-34 (2.4 million).

On the social-media side, the drama also was Instagram’s most-followed scripted show (1.5 million), and it now accounts for the top five most tweeted scripted series telecasts of all time (including the top two of 2014).

Among new series for the network in 2014, “Chasing Life” won its Tuesday time period in several categories, including women 18-34 (594,000).

ABC Family certainly closed the year on a strong note, as the “25 Days of Christmas” event produced the network’s No. 1-rated month in its history in adults 18-49 (1.2 million viewers) and women 18-49 (769,000) and its No. 2-rated month in adults 18-34 (643,000), women 18-34 (428,000) and viewers 12-34 (905,000).

The network swept the month, ranking as the No. 1 network in primetime across target 18-34, 18-49 and 12-34 demos, and it was the No. 1 entertainment cable network in total viewers (2.5 million). With “Elf” leading the way, ABC Family aired the month’s top 10 cable TV movies in adults 18-34.

Versus the previous year’s event, “25 Days of Christmas 2014” produced across-the-board growth of 4% in total viewers (2.5 million vs. 2.4 million), 8% in adults 18-34 (630,000 vs. 582,000), 12% in viewers 12-34 (892,000 vs. 799,000) and 20% in adults 18-49 (1.2 million vs. 1.0 million).

On Facebook, the event’s programming guide had 461,000 shares, becoming ABC Family’s most shared post on record. The “25 Days of Christmas” Facebook page reached over 47 million unique people.