UPDATED: The widow of a man who was killed after being struck by a vehicle driven by Suge Knight has filed a wrongful death suit against the rap mogul as well as producers of the upcoming film “Straight Outta Compton.”
Universal Pictures, distributor of the film, was also named in the lawsuit, in addition to rapper/producers Dr. Dre and Ice Cube.
The lawsuit was filed on Wednesday in Los Angeles.
Lilian Carter, the widow of Terry Carter, claims that Universal was negligent by continuing filming in Compton, CA after Dr. Dre told the production that Knight was dangerous.
She also claims that Knight “carelessly, recklessly, violently, and negligently drove Vehicle 1 towards Bone … causing Vehicle 1 to strike Terry Carter and killing him.”
Knight’s attorney, Tom Mesereau, told Variety that Knight denies any liability for the accident.
“He was defending himself at all times,” Mesereau said.
The incident, which took place earlier this year in Compton, happened near the location of a “Straight Outta Compton” promotional shoot.
Popular on Variety
A spokesman for Universal declined to comment.
“This lawsuit concerns the tragic tale of how reckless corporate greed, disguised as the quest for authenticity, (led) to a foreseeable altercation that resulted in the death of a successful businessman,” reads the complaint.
Knight, the former Death Row records mogul, has pleaded not guilty to killing Carter.
“Straight Outta Compton,” which opens later this year, details the rise of the N.W.A. rap group, which included Dr. Dre and Ice Cube.