“Stratton,” based on the first of a series of novels by Duncan Falconer, had been set to start filming on June 2 in London and Rome with Simon West directing.
GFM Films, which is providing financing and was selling the film last week at Cannes, said in a statement Thursday that it plans to press on with the project: “It is with great regret that we announce that Henry Cavill has pulled out of ‘Stratton’ due to creative differences on the script of the movie. With production due to commence next week, we wish to keep the production team together and Simon West as director so are working now to replace Henry. Production will be delayed whilst we do this. Further announcements will be made in due course.”
In February, West came on board to direct “Stratton” for Amber Entertainment, Cavill’s Promethean Productions and GFM. “Stratton” is based on the first of a series of eight novels by Duncan Falconer following a Special Boat Service operative tracking down an international terrorist cell through Central Asia, mainland Europe and London.
At the time, Cavill issued a laudatory comment about the project.
“I’ve long wanted to tell a story about the British Special Forces, and finally the opportunity has come around,” the “Man of Steel” star said at the time. “Duncan Falconer’s work is fantastic, and we are incredibly fortunate to be working with him so closely. We plan to convert the books to cinema as accurately as possible while keeping them topical. Simon West is a perfect match for this movie with his ability to marry storytelling and action, both of which are essential to do this project justice.”
Cavill will be seen next in “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.” in August, followed by “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice” in March 2016.
A request for comment from Cavill’s reps was not immediately returned.
The news of Cavill’s exit was first reported by Screen.