For a $10 charitable donation, “Star Wars” fans have the chance to attend the premiere of “The Force Awakens” in Los Angeles or London. In a video released Wednesday, director J.J. Abrams announced the campaign — the fourth fundraiser he’s done in partnership with Omaze — which gives any donor the chance to win a first look at the film.
“A year and a half ago, we launched production with a brand new charitable initiative called ‘Star Wars: Force for Change’ that aims to inspire all of us to make a positive difference in the world,” Abrams says in the video. “And since then, with your help, we’ve raised nearly 7 million dollars to support UNICEF’s lifesaving work for children around the world.”
Two grand prize winners, who can each bring three guests, will receive flights and a 4-star hotel stay for the red carpet premiere in either Los Angeles or London and have the chance to meet the cast, walk the red carpet, see the film and attend the after party.
The proceeds for this campaign will benefit 15 different charities chosen by the cast and filmmakers.
The list of charities include:
- Africa Cancer Foundation — nominated by Lupita Nyong’o
- Arts in the Armed Forces (AITAF) — nominated by Adam Driver
- Barnardo’s UK — nominated by Andy Serkis
- Central London Samaritans — nominated by Anthony Daniels
- Damilola Taylor Trust — nominated by John Boyega
- fStop Warrior Project — nominated by Harrison Ford
- Feeding America — nominated by Mark Hamill
- Make-A-Wish — nominated by Peter Mayhew
- Malala Fund — nominated by J.J. Abrams
- PACER Center — nominated by Carrie Fisher
- Phab — nominated by Daisy Ridley
- St. Francis Hospice, Raheny — nominated by Domhnall Gleeson
- The Circle — nominated by Gwendoline Christie
- UNICEF — nominated by Kathleen Kennedy
- Union of Concerned Scientists — nominated by Oscar Isaac
The video features some of the actors introducing their charities, but at the end of the video Abrams pokes fun at the continued speculation about Luke Skywalker’s whereabouts — “but where’s Mark Hamill?” Abrams teases.
Last week, Harrison Ford got in on the Omaze action by surprising fans via Skype to tell them about the new campaign.
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” hits theaters on Dec. 18.