‘Jurassic World’ Scores Biggest Opening Weekend in History, Beats ‘Avengers’ Record

Chris Pratt Jurassic World

Jurassic World” now holds the record for the biggest opening in movie history.

After the final numbers were tallied, the dinosaur thriller inched past “Marvel’s the Avengers” to become top dog on the all-time list, with a U.S. debut of $208.8 million. The superhero blockbuster was the previous record holder with a $207.4 million bow. It also topped “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2” and its $314 million opening to set a new benchmark for an overseas launch with $315.6 million.

Universal, the studio behind the film, initially estimated that “Jurassic World” would open to $204.6 million domestically, but the blockbuster had a stronger than anticipated Sunday.

It had some stiff competition for audience attention on Sunday night — both Game 5 of the NBA Finals and the season finale of HBO’s “Game of Thrones” generated a great deal of buzz that could have cut into ticket sales. Box office analysts say that moviegoers may have opted to check out the film on Sunday after hearing about its monster opening in order to be part of the conversation.

“It inspires people to go to the movie theater,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at Rentrak. “Everybody gets caught up in it.”

Legendary co-financed the sequel, which cost $150 million to produce. Colin Trevorrow directed “Jurassic World,” with Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard playing the leads.

Universal debuted the film in 4,274 theaters, the widest release in studio history. Heading into the weekend most analysts predicted that “Jurassic World” would kick off with between $125 million and $135 million. BoxOffice.com Chief Analyst Phil Contrino said that “Jurassic World’s” over-performance is analogous the recent monster openings of “Guardians of the Galaxy” and “American Sniper” that dwarfed estimates on the strength of audiences’ reactions.

“This was off the charts big in terms of how it broke out and became must see really fast,” said Contrino. “This is a movie that benefited from a new era of Thursday evening shows, which helped spread a very enthusiastic word of mouth.”

Globally, “Jurassic World” became the first movie to cross $500 million in a single weekend. It debuted to a massive $100 million in China and opened in first place in all 66 international territories where the film was released. Based on that performance, Contrino said the film will cross the $1 billion mark “without even blinking.”

Universal crossed the $1 billion mark at the domestic box office, beating Paramount’s record achieved on June 22, 2008. It has also gone past $3 billion worldwide, passing Fox’s record of $3 billion on June 30, 2010.

UPDATE, 10:15 a.m. PDT

1. Maria says:

I love dinosaurs, Jurassic Park was part of my childhood and I was excited to watch a new one with my kids. I was NOT disappointed, we loved the dinosaur scenes, loved the actors, loved how they added stuff from Jurassic Park (nostalgia) and didn’t take the whole dinosaurs team up thing too seriously. I mean the movie is fiction anyway, so why not have them work together, my kids and I loved it. Probably will see it again.

• Cassandra says:

Jurssic world is my favorite movie i can watch it over and over again i even bought the movie. I give everyone prompts for making the movie and also for being number one in the world

2. Satan says:

Joss Whedon, check your karma.

3. jj says:

What an awful movie. I don’t know where to begin. Only Pratt and Howard could seem to bring the C work script and make it serviceable because of their acting talent. The movie had serious pacing issues and boredom would set in half way through every short and poorly staged action scene. The writing was awful garbage with stupid plot twist after stupid plot twist. The ending was underwhelming and stupid. I pretty sure a T-Rex wouldn’t form an alliance with a raptor and nod after a dinosaur boxing match. Stupid! The Pterodactyl scenes were poorly done ending with a cruel and needless death scene of an innocent and defenseless woman meeting a horrible demise. When I comparing the Pterodactyl scenes to Jurassic Park 3, there is simply no comparison, which is especially bad when comparing them to a movie made in 2001. In fact, every Jurassic Park movie is significantly better than this awful movie. I would rank this far below Jurassic Park 2.

4. Brian says:

I love how the fan boys bring up the Avengers over and over as if the success of this movie somehow diminishes the success of those movies. Still pissed about Marvel’s success, huh? Get over it, sheesh.

5. Duder NME says:

“Box office analysts say that moviegoers may have opted to check out the film on Sunday after hearing about its monster opening in order to be part of the conversation.”

“Box office analysts”? “Be part of the conversation”? What do these even mean? The first sounds made up (cellar dwellers more likely) and the other is a spotlight on sheeple herding. Has anyone ever gone to a movie just to explicitly fill a studio’s coffers?

6. Geoff Jones says:

Hungry for more dinosaur action after watching Jurassic World? Check out The Dinosaur Four at Amazon. It’s darker than Jurassic World, and not really for kids, but it’s a fun read!

7. Leon says:

Raptors and chris Pratt. Wow. Too bad the final fight was all in the dark. Should have been lighter. Oh well. Raptors and Pratt spin off please!!

8. LeoJ says:

It was awesome- saw it yesterday evening at my favourite multiplex in London, UK. Never personally seen the venue so busy. I went to be entertained, I went for escapism and I went for fun. It delivered! Thankyou Universal and the crew-I feel like a giddy kid again..

9. RichM says:

Loved the movie! saw it twice on opening week. Most people I talked to loved the movie also. All the people who I talked to that saw avengers age of ultron said it not only sucked but sucked real bad. I do not think they will be going back to see another one.

10. Alwx says:

From what I’ve heard it ranged from ok to pile of crap, lol. I haven’t seen it so I can’t comment on its quality but I would not be surprised if these numbers were found to be inflated.

• Bill says:

I’ve yet to hear someone anywhere other than the Internet complain about it; everyone I’ve talked to in person loved it.

• Byron says:

I’ve certainly heard people saying it was just OK or not quite up to the hype, but I have yet to hear anyone say it was bad. Personally, I’ve been obsessed with JP since the book, read it in two days. Saw the original film three times in the theater. I was ok with The Lost World but absolutely loathed JP3. Abysmal movie. But for me Jurassic World was fantastic! I felt like, “oh hey look someone finally made a sequel to Jurassic Park.” And for me it’s because they are finally returning to the original island. I was scared, amused, fascinated etc. Think it’s by far the best of the sequels. Glad also that it displaced that Marvel crap. ;)

• Leon says:

The story is weak the main girl is not likable. The final scene is too dark. But outside of that if you like chris Pratt and raptors then your in for a treat. For a pg 13 movie ( I hate pg 13) it’s great.

11. I saw Jurassic World Saturday evening in a sold out theater. I had a great time, and the movie was a lot of fun – everything you would expect from the Jurassic franchise. It’s definitely the type of film you go to a theater to see on the big screen. The audience was really into the movie, and cheered when it was over. Overall, I had a great time, and the movie is definitely worth checking out. Glad to see that the movie has done so well.

12. Candice says:

The original was better. Bryce Dallas was very average as a female lead

13. tom katt says:

$315.6 million.????? Not correct..it should read 515.6 Million…..GET IT TOGETHER!

14. My Jurassic Pants says:

Why? How? Someone younger than me please explain this, because I just saw yet another sequel to a spent franchise.

It wasn’t even shot in 3D, was it? The Avengers had great timing and buzz with 3D — not only was it shot in 3D but the novelty of 3D had not worn off yet — thus it really took advantage of higher priced tickets. But I guess now with the scam of “premium format theaters” there are so many more “premium-priced” tickets sold that even a film with less marketing and buzz like Jurassic World can break records?

Seriously, someone who does NOT work in the industry please explain this to me.

• Liz says:

It’s dinosaurs, everybody loves to see them if they are done right and this franchise does them pretty well. Plus most people have watched at least the first one so they know what to expect, which is cool dinosaurs. People like to watch things that can eat us, remember Jaws?

• Jean-Michel says:

Neither of the Avengers movies were shot in 3D–in fact no Marvel movie has been shot in 3D. JURASSIC WORLD is also natively 2D but was partially shot in a “premium format” (65mm), though they don’t seem to have struck any 70mm prints.

15. Vance says:

Nice to see something other than a comic book movie do this kind of boffo business. THIS will be the movie of the summer. Guaranteed it beats AVENGERS overall. I’m definitely seeing it again. Was it equal to JURASSIC PARK? Nope. It was better than the overstuffed AGE OF ULTRON, though.

16. Have the FINAL NUMBERS been posted? Jurassic World is reccyling events from the 1st 3 films and the film was clearly set up to generate at least 1 sequel.

So to all the people on the dinosaur bandwagon, remember dinosaurs have always captured the general imagination and the same criticism being leveled this morning at Marvel for their superheroes, the same can be said for Jurassic World.

Lets see what Jurassic World’s final numbers are at the end of its run. Could be it stalls out at greater than 600m domestic WHICH would fail to match Avengers final tally. And it is highly unlikely it will meet or exceed Cameon’s Titanic and Avatar- lofty numbers indeed

17. Bill B. says:

I really like Pratt, but I am rather surprised by this revenue. I haven’t seen it and have little interest in paying money to see it. Seems like a tired and rather predictable retread to me ever since I first heard about it, but I have to admit while I love sci-fi, dinosaurs are not among my strongest interests.

• Bill says:

The key is that for most the movie under promised and over delivered. I know I went to see how Pratt would do with the premise and came away thoroughly entertained, only the second time this summer I came away from an auctioneer thinking “that was great” and preparing to preorder the Blu-ray.

It also has exceptionally strong word-of-mouth from those same early viewers who though it would be just OK but came away very happy.

18. Chief Brody says:

Right now, Marvel-freaks all over North America and around the world are going “WHAAAAAAAT??” Welcome back to the box office fold, Mr. Spielberg!

19. GeorgeValentin says:

I am glad that I was a part of movie history by going to the theater on June 12 to see “Jurassic World.”

20. Skeeter says:

Awesome. Glad this movie beat avengers. Avengers movies are overrated in my opinion. There are to many of them already and they just keep recycling the same stuff.
    Jurassic World was an awesome time. Most fun I’ve ever had at the movies. Chris Pratt seems like a cool guy and was great in this. Bryce Dallas Howard was great as well.
    And those dinosaurs were absolutely awesome particularly the Indominus, Mosasurus, Raptor Squad, and Rexy.

• Jim says:

If you don’t think Jurassic World recycled stuff from the first 3 movies then you need to go back and watch them, lol. It was mostly recycled ideas and scenes.

21. DontMindMeNow says:

Box Office Mojo indicates that, adjusted for inflation, the debut of The Avengers’ actually doesn’t change by more than a couple dollars. (Dollars, not millions of dollars). Thus, if the JW estimate holds up, it takes the cake on every level, with and without inflation.

22. Jacques Strappe says:

It’s a little bit disingenuous to compare movie debuts since they appear on different dates and numbers of screens. Furthermore, ticket prices have surely risen since 2012 when The Avengers debuted and depending on how many IMAX screens Jurassic was shown on, those ticket prices are a lot more expensive.

• Jaques Strappe

totally concur
      once again Variety is giddy , choosing to ignore these very fundamental issues
      and DontMindMeNow- is Box Office MoJo taking into account current cost of tickets/ number of screens for both 2D, 3D, Premium and Imax 3D?

23. Jonathan says:

Proud of them!!! Jurassic World congrats!! Glad to see a childhood movie revived and making big bucks!

24. Ano says: