×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

ISIS Claims Responsibility for Paris Attacks in Video: ‘Just the Beginning’

ISIS released a video on Saturday claiming responsibility for the Friday attacks that killed over 120 people and wounded more than 200 across Paris.

In the video, a militant threatens to pursue attacks if France continues “bombing” and incites French Muslims to carry out attacks.

“This attack is just the beginning of the storm… Eight brothers targeted sites that were meticulously chosen in advance in the heart of the city… As long as you keep bombing you will not live in peace. You will even fear traveling to the market,” said the bearded man.

The Islamist State also said in a written document that “France and those who follow its path must know that they remain the main targets of the Islamist State and that they will continue smelling the odor of death for leading the crusade, for having insulted our Prophet, for bragging that they’re fighting against Islam in France and hit Muslims in Califat lands with their planes which didn’t help them in any way in the streets of Paris.”

Popular on Variety

Witnesses who were inside the Bataclan theater, one of the main sites of the attack where about 80 hostages were slaughtered, said the gunmen shouted “Francois Hollande should not intervene in Syria” and screamed “This is for Syria” before firing shots.

Reacting to the unprecedented attacks, Francois Hollande declared last night that the country had been placed under a State of Emergency and passed several measures, including the shutting down of borders and the mobilization of all police and military forces on the ground to track down terrorists all across France. So far eight attackers are dead — seven of them blew themselves up — and police say there could be more terrorists on the run and more attacks in the days to come.

Hollande also declared three days of national grieving. Schools, museums, parks including Disneyland Paris, and various department stores are shut show. A number of events, including U2’s concert, and film premieres have been canceled as well.

More Film

  • Oscar Isaac Star Wars The Rise

    Oscar Isaac Has Never Felt Like a 'Star Wars' Insider

    Unlike his “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” co-stars Daisy Ridley and John Boyega, Oscar Isaac had already established a long and acclaimed acting career before J.J. Abrams cast him as ace X-wing pilot Poe Dameron in 2015’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” including standout roles in 2006’s “The Nativity Story” and 2011’s “Drive,” and [...]

  • Les Arcs to Showcase New Projects

    Les Arcs to Showcase New Projects by Jonas Alexander Arnby, Agnieszka Smoczyńska

    Denmark’s Jonas Alexander Arnby, France’s Alain Gagnol and Jean-Loup Felicioli, and Poland’s Agnieszka Smoczyńska are among up-and-coming directors from across Europe whose latest projects will be presented at the 11th Coproduction Village of Les Arcs Film Festival. This edition of Les Arcs Coproduction Village will showcase a total of 22 European projects spanning 19 countries. [...]

  • 'Chez Jolie Coiffure' Review: Hair Salon

    Film Review: 'Chez Jolie Coiffure'

    Shortly before the credits roll on “Chez Jolie Coiffure,” a customer in the eponymous hair salon asks her stylist, Sabine, if she has any plans to go home this year. Out of context, this sounds like the kind of standard, empty small talk one often makes while having one’s hair cut: what good movies you’ve [...]

  • Best Netflix original movies

    The 10 Best Netflix Movies of 2019

    This time last year, Netflix estimated that it would release 90 original movies in 2019. At the time, the number seemed outrageous: That’s more than four times the number Warner Bros. made in the same 12-month period — and more than any human would ever care to watch. Guess what: Turns out that 90 was a [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content