×

Charlie Hunnam Calls ‘Fifty Shades’ Exit His ‘Worst Professional Experience’

Charlie Hunnam is finally giving the “heartbreaking” details on what happened behind-the-scenes when he dropped out of Universal’s “Fifty Shades of Grey,” maintaining that it wasn’t the film’s sexual content that caused him to bow out, but scheduling issues.

The “Sons of Anarchy” star opened up about the ordeal in a new interview with V Man, speaking out on the toll leaving Christian Grey took on him.

“Oh, it was the worst professional experience of my life. It was the most emotionally destructive and difficult thing that I’ve ever had to deal with professionally,” Hunnam told the magazine. “It was heartbreaking.”

Hunnam was announced to play billionaire BDSM heartthrob Grey in 2013, and dropped out shortly after. Irish actor Jamie Dornan was tapped to take his place just a couple of weeks after.

Hunnam said he previously committed to Guillermo del Toro’s “Crimson Peak,” which debuts this October, in addition to shooting the final season of FX’s “Sons of Anarchy.”

“I’d given Guillermo my word, over a year before, that I was going to do this film,” the actor explained. “People were saying, ‘Are you crazy? Guillermo still has got four months to recast, it’s the fourth lead, you can go and do this [instead].’ I said, ‘I can’t. He’s my friend, I’ve done a film with him, I gave him my word.'”

“I’m pretty mercurial and a very difficult, long-winded decision-maker at the best of times. It was deeply unpleasant and challenging emotionally,” he went on. “I really, really pride myself on being a professional and a man of keeping my word. It means a lot to me, truly.”

Hunnam said he just “didn’t know what to do” in the situation. Out of respect for “Fifty Shades” director Sam Taylor-Johnson, he called her personally to break the news.

“I called her and we both cried our eyes out on the phone for 20 minutes,” he said. “I needed to tell her that this was not going to work… There was a lot of personal stuff going on in my life that left me on real emotional shaky ground and mentally weak. I just got myself so f–king overwhelmed and I was sort of having panic attacks about the whole thing.”

Hunnam also denied that he was intimated by the sexual nature of the movie, pointing to his early work on Showtime’s “Queer as Folk” as an example of the contrary. “When I was 18 I was getting f–ked in the ass, completely naked on national TV, you know?” he said.

Fifty Shades of Grey” got mixed reviews but became a box office hit after its release in February, pulling in more than $569 million worldwide. Sequels “Fifty Shades Darker” and “Fifty Shades Freed” are set for February 2017 and February 2018, respectively.

More Film

  • 'Top Gun: Maverick' Trailer: Tom Cruise

    Tom Cruise Drops First Trailer for 'Top Gun: Maverick' at Comic-Con (Watch)

    Tom Cruise made a surprise appearance at San Diego Comic-Con on Thursday to hype the forthcoming “Top Gun: Maverick” and receive mass adoration from Hall H. “I felt it was my responsibility to deliver for you,” Cruise told the crowd, tugging local heartstrings by reminiscing on the original “Top Gun” shoot in Downtown San Diego. [...]

  • Tribeca Film Institute

    Tribeca Film Institute, Pond5 Announce Latest Indie Film Grantees (EXCLUSIVE)

    Tribeca Film Institute (TFI) and Pond5 have once again teamed up to offer microgrants to indie filmmakers and artists. The grants, which go as high as $7,500, are intended to help storytellers during “in-between” phases of their projects, such as research, festival travel or community screenings. They’re the kind of unexpected costs that can lead [...]

  • On-Location Filming Slides 3.9% in Los

    On-Location Filming Slides 3.9% in Los Angeles in Second Quarter

    Held down by a lack of soundstage space, total on-location filming in greater Los Angeles declined 3.9% in the second quarter to 8,632 shoot days, permitting agency FilmLA reported Thursday. “Although our latest report reveals a decline in filming on location, local production facilities tell us that they are operating at capacity,” said FilmLA president [...]

  • Avengers: Endgame

    U.S. Box Office, Movie Admissions, Ticket Price Fall in Second Quarter

    U.S. movie admissions slid 2.5% in the second quarter of 2019 to 347.8 million, with box office receipts declining 3.8% to $3.22 billion on the heels of a record-setting year, the National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO) reported Thursday. The overall ticket price for the quarter slipped 1.3%, or 12 cents, to $9.26, compared to [...]

  • Terminator: Dark Fate

    'Terminator: Dark Fate' Will Definitely Be R-Rated, Tim Miller Reveals at Comic-Con

    “Terminator: Dark Fate” is not just a reboot of a beloved franchise, it’s a return to hardcore form that will receive an R rating from the MPAA. Announced at San Diego Comic Con’s opening Hall H panel on Thursday, the move is a departure from the PG-13 status of recent reboot attempts like “Terminator: Genisys” [...]

  • In Search

    Rushlake Takes World Rights for Two Acclaimed African Docs (EXCLUSIVE)

    DURBAN–Cologne-based Rushlake Media has acquired world sales rights for “The Sound of Masks,” by Portuguese filmmaker Sara Gouveia, and “In Search,” by Kenyan director Beryl Magoko. The announcement was made Thursday at the Durban Intl. Film Festival, where both documentaries are screening. Rushlake’s Philipp Hoffmann says the two films will bolster the company’s growing slate [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content