×

Cannes: Emmanuelle Bercot’s ‘La Tete haute’ to Open 68th Film Festival (EXCLUSIVE)

French actress-director Emmanuelle Bercot’s “La Tete haute,” starring Catherine Deneuve, has been selected to open the Cannes Film Festival on May 13, Variety has learned from industry sources.

The film, which is being sold by Elle Driver and distributed in France by Wild Bunch, follows the experience of a juvenile delinquent named Malony from ages 6 to 18, with Deneuve playing a judge trying to intervene. It’s Deneuve’s second collaboration with Bercot after “On My Way,” which premiered in competition at the 2013 Berlin Film Festival.

It hasn’t yet been decided whether “La Tete haute” will premiere in or out of competition. The film is co-written by Bercot and Marcia Romano, and also stars Benoit Magimel and Sara Forestier.

Bercot will be the first female director to open the festival since 1987, when Cannes kicked off with Diane Kurys’ “A Man in Love.” Although she began her career as an actress (with credits including “Class Trip,” “A tout de suite” and “Carlos”), Bercot has become better known in recent years as a writer-director. She made her helming debut in 2001 with “Clement,” which premiered at Cannes in Un Certain Regard.

Bercot may be doing double duty at this year’s Cannes: She’s also starring in Maiwenn’s “Mon roi,” a French film widely expected to premiere in the official selection.

Observers close to the festival noted that, after a run of splashy, star-powered opening entries (“Midnight in Paris,” “Moonrise Kingdom,” “The Great Gatsby,” “Grace of Monaco”), festival topper Thierry Fremaux had been looking specifically for a French entry to kick off the festivities, especially in a year when the main competition jury is being presided over by two American directors, Joel and Ethan Coen. The last time a solely French-produced film opened Cannes was in 2005, with Dominik Moll’s “Lemming.”

With the official selection due to be announced this Thursday, April 16, Cannes programmers waited a bit longer than usual to unveil this year’s curtain-raiser, given that “Grace of Monaco” (2014) was announced as the opening-night film in January, while “The Great Gatsby” (2013) and “Moonrise Kingdom” (2012) were both announced in early March. Still, it’s hardly the first time this decision has gone down to the wire: The festival waited until as late as April to announce past opening-night films such as “My Blueberry Nights” (2007) and “Blindness” (2008).

The Cannes Film Festival runs May 13-24.

(Guy Lodge contributed to this report.)

More Film

  • Noah CentineoNickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards, Show,

    Kids’ Choice Awards 2019: JoJo Siwa, Noah Centineo Take on Bullying

    This year’s Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards was full of positivity and encouragement to be yourself. DJ Khaled, known for his upbeat mantras, hosted the 32nd annual awards ceremony alongside JoJo Siwa at USC’s Galen center. Siwa accepted the award for favorite social music star. Siwa said in her acceptance speech, “I get hated on every [...]

  • Us Scriptwriter and Film-maker Larry Cohen

    Larry Cohen, Cult Horror Writer-Director of 'It's Alive,' Dies at 77

    Larry Cohen, best known for his work as a B-movie producer and director in the ’70s and his later work in screenwriting, has died. He was 77. Cohen’s friend, actor and publicist Shade Rupe, confirmed the news, which was announced in a post to Cohen’s official Facebook page. Rupe said Cohen died in Los Angeles [...]

  • Captain Marvel

    Box Office: 'Captain Marvel' Shatters $900 Million Milestone

    Brie Larson’s “Captain Marvel” continues to do heroic business. In its latest box office milestone, the female-fronted superhero tentpole zoomed past $900 million in ticket sales worldwide. “Captain Marvel” brought in a mighty $87 million globally this weekend, including $52 million from international territories. It has now generated $589 million overseas for a global haul [...]

  • Us - Lupita Nyong’o - cr:

    Box Office: Jordan Peele's 'Us' Stuns With $70 Million Opening Weekend

    Talk about scary good. Universal’s “Us,” the second directorial effort from Jordan Peele, pulled off a stunning debut, generating $70 million from 3,741 North American locations. That haul is enough to land it the second-best opening weekend of the year behind Disney’s “Captain Marvel” ($153 million). The psychological thriller about a family confronted by a [...]

  • SHAZAM

    Film Review: 'Shazam!'

    In “Shazam!,” Zachary Levi brings off something so winning it’s irresistible. He plays a square-jawed, rippling-muscled man of might, with a cheesy Day-Glo lighting bolt affixed to his chest, who projects an insanely wholesome and old-fashioned idea of what a superhero can be. But he’s also playing a breathless teenage kid on the inside, and [...]

  • WGA Agents Contract Tug of War

    Showrunners, Screenwriters Back WGA in Agency Battle, Sides to Meet Again Tuesday

    More than 750 showrunners and screenwriters have backed the WGA’s battle against talent agencies taking packaging fees and other changes to the rules governing the business relationship between agents and writers. The letter of support issued Saturday is significant because of the immense clout showrunners and prominent screenwriters possess in Hollywood. Several showrunners had recently [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content