×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Box Office: ‘In the Heart of the Sea’ Flops With $11 Million Debut

Ron Howard’s “In the Heart of the Seasunk at the box office this weekend, mustering up a measly $11 million after debuting in 3,103 theaters.

It’s a painful flop for the director behind “A Beautiful Mind” and “Apollo 13,” one of the worst of his Oscar-winning career. With an $100 million production budget, the film will likely result in a steep write down for Warner Bros., the studio behind the seafaring epic. “In the Heart of the Sea’s” failure is the latest in a long string of missteps for the company, which is reeling from a litany of disasters that includes “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.,” “Jupiter Ascending” and “Pan.” The studio did catch a break over Thanksgiving when “Creed” emerged as a sleeper hit and its financial exposure is softened on “In the Heart of the Sea” because Village Roadshow was a backer.

“We stand behind Ron and his vision for the story,” said Jeff Goldstein, Warner Bros. distribution executive vice president. “We believe in him. He’s a terrific filmmaker. But some movies work and unfortunately some movies don’t.”

“In the Heart of the Sea” reunites Howard with Chris Hemsworth. The pair previously collaborated on the racing drama “Rush.” It centers on the Essex, a whaling vessel that had a violent encounter with a sperm whale. That nautical disaster inspired Herman Melville’s “Moby Dick.” Outside of the “Thor” movies, Hemsworth has struggled to establish himself as a box office draw — “Rush” and this year’s cyber thriller “Blackhat” both fizzled.

The film is the latest adult-oriented drama to collapse at the box office, joining a list that includes “Steve Jobs,” “Our Brand is Crisis” and “Burnt.” The opening weekend audience for “In the Heart of the Sea” skewed older. Ticket buyers were 54% male and 68% over the age of 35, while 3D screenings accounted for 42% of receipts. Warner Bros. hopes it can make up some ground over the holidays, noting that the B+ CinemaScore means word-of-mouth will be solid.

“The adult audience has been slow to come out and that’s frustrating because this is a story well told,” said Goldstein.

Of course, the whole weekend was a throat clearing of sorts as the movie business braces for the debut of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” on Dec. 18. The return to a galaxy far, far away is on pace to shatter records for a December opening and could threaten “Jurassic World’s” debut of $208.8 million to become the biggest launch in history.

With “In the Heart of the Sea” flailing, “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2” will capture first place for the fourth straight weekend with $11.3 million. The science-fiction franchise capper has earned $244.5 million domestically.

Among holdovers, “The Good Dinosaur” nabbed third place with $10.5 million, bringing its domestic total to $89.7 million. “Creed” captured fourth position with $10.1 million. The boxing drama has earned $79.3 million after three weeks of release. “Krampus” dropped 51% in its second weekend of release to round out the top five with $8 million. The Christmas-themed horror film has earned $28.1 million stateside.

On the awards season front, “The Big Short” capitalized on Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild nominations to pick up the year’s second largest per-screen average of $90,000. The film, which stars Steve Carell and Ryan Gosling and explores the origins of the recent financial collapse, earned $720,000 from eight theaters. A wide release is scheduled for Dec. 23. 

“We think the movie will cross over and be mainstream entertainment,” said Rob Moore, Paramount’s vice-chairman.

“Spotlight,” another Oscar front-runner, reached an important milestone, crossing the $20 million mark after earning $2.5 million.

Overall, the box office slipped 10% from a year ago when Ridley Scott’s “Exodus: Gods and Kings” topped charts and earned more than $24 million. Theater owners and studios have openly predicted that blockbuster-stacked 2015 would be the biggest year in history, but ticket sales have floundered in the final quarter of the year. Now, the movie industry will look to Luke Skywalker to revive its fortunes.

“I don’t think you can take away how much the Force is overshadowing everything right now,” said Jeff Bock, a box office analyst with Exhibitor Relations. “Until [‘The Force Awakens’] opens, everything else will be a non-factor.”

More Film

  • My Son (Mon Garçon)

    Film Review: 'My Son'

    Director Christian Carion and his frequent star Guillaume Canet show off their very particular sets of skills in “My Son” (“Mon garçon”), a polished, if mechanical, vigilante thriller that attempts to combine the psychological deep dive of Denis Villeneuve’s “Prisoners” with the adrenaline shot of Pierre Morel’s “Taken.” Falling well short of those superior films, [...]

  • Liam Neeson

    Liam Neeson to Star in Action-Thriller 'The Minuteman'

    Liam Neeson is returning to familiar turf, starring in the independent action-thriller “The Minuteman” from director Robert Lorenz. Voltage Pictures is on board to represent the movie at the Cannes Film Festival. CAA and UTA Independent Film Group will co-represent the U.S. rights. Neeson has starred in the “Taken” trilogy, along with “Widows,” “The Commuter,” [...]

  • Andreas Carlsson Reginald Hudlin

    Reginald Hudlin Teams With Andreas Carlsson for 'Beyond the Velvet Rope'

    Reginald Hudlin (pictured at right), who received a Best Picture nomination for “Django Unchained,” will direct the musical “Beyond the Velvet Rope” with songs by hitmaker Andreas Carlsson. Ron Bass, who won an Oscar for the “Rain Man” screenplay, is writing the script with Walter Becker (“Wild Hogs”) and G.L. Lambert. Carlsson will produce with [...]

  • Zhang Ziyi Named Godmother of the

    Zhang Ziyi Named Godmother of the Trophée Chopard 2019 at Cannes Film Festival

    Actress Zhang Ziyi has been named “Godmother” of the 19th annual Trophée Chopard 2019 at Cannes Film Festival. As godmother, Zhang will present the award to both a male and female young actor on the rise. She follows “Godmother” Diane Kruger, who presented the award to Joe Alwyn and Elizabeth Debicki at Cannes film Festival [...]

  • Natasha Lyonne Cast in Jon Stewart's

    Natasha Lyonne Joins Jon Stewart's Political Drama 'Irresistible' (EXCLUSIVE)

    Following her critically acclaimed Netflix series “Russian Doll,” Natasha Lyonne is heading back to the big screen. The actress is joining Steve Carell in the ensemble cast of Jon Stewart’s upcoming comedy “Irresistible.” The movie, also starring Topher Grace, Rose Byrne, and Chris Cooper, follows a Democrat political consultant (Carell) who helps a retired ex-Marine [...]

  • GODZILLA: KING OF MONSTERS

    Box Office: 'Godzilla: King of the Monsters' May Smash $50 Million-Plus in Debut

    “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” should smash at least $50 million at the North American box office during its May 31-June 2 opening weekend for Legendary and Warner Bros., early tracking showed on Thursday. The Elton John biopic “Rocketman,” world premiering next week at the Cannes Film Festival, is pegged by box office trackers to [...]

  • Ed Skrein

    Ed Skrein Joins John Boyega in Legal Drama 'Naked Singularity' (EXCLUSIVE)

    Ed Skrein is set to join John Boyega and Olivia Cooke in the legal drama “A Naked Singularity” with Ridley Scott’s Scott Free Productions on board to produce. The movie is based on Sergio De La Pava’s debut novel, which centers on a successful New York public defender whose life begins to unravel after he [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content