×

Busan: Final ‘Baahubali’ Aims to Be Bigger, More Emotional

S.S. Rajamouli’s popularity in South Korea was evident Sunday when “Baahubali: The Beginning” played at the Busan Film Festival’s Open Cinema strand where hundreds of Korean fans lined up for the director’s autograph and photos armed with the film’s posters and DVDs of “Eega.”  “Baahubali: The Beginning” released in July in India and Indian diaspora territories has grossed a massive $92 million.

Rajamouli has already shot some 40% of  “Baahubali: The Conclusion” but hasn’t yet started on the rest because the team took some time off to bask in the success of part one. The sequel will commence shooting at the end of November at the film’s standing sets in Hyderabad’s Ramoji Film City and some forest sequences will shoot in the northern Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. Consequently, the release, which was scheduled for next summer, has been pushed back to the end of 2016.

The final 35 minutes of “Baahubali: The Beginning” features an epic war scene that  has had audiences returning to the theaters multiple times. Expectations are therefore huge for the sequel. “We realize that the commercial success of part one predominantly came from the visual effects and the war. And I know people will be expecting more from the second part. They will not be dissatisfied,” says Rajamouli. “It will be much bigger.”

Popular on Variety

The “Baahubali” films were together budgeted at $40 million, but now, to accommodate the grander scale, it has grown to a shade under $50 million, says Shobu Yarlagadda, one of the film’s producers at Arka Mediaworks.

The “Baahubali” saga is about brothers in medieval India in conflict over a rich kingdom and is rich in imagery, battles and skulduggery. It stars Prabhas, Rana Daggubati, Anushka Shetty, Tamannah, Sathyaraj and Ramya Krishnan. The first part ended in a cliffhanger that will be resolved in the conclusion. Rajamouli says that the first part was merely an introduction to the story proper that will unfold in the conclusion. He is however not relying just on grandeur and visual effects. “We are banking on emotion, the sequel is much more emotional than part one,” says Rajamouli. “The way the characters behave in part two will be entirely different,” he says. “The characters will be seen in a new light. The characters are the same, but the characterizations will be different.”

Meanwhile, “Baahubali: The Beginning” is poised for an international rollout, beginning with China and Japan. Always known as a blockbuster filmmaker in India, Rajamouli acquired global cult status with his previous film “Eega” after the film played at the L’Etrange Festival, Montreuil, the Toronto After Dark Film Festival, the Shanghai Film Festival, the Madrid Film Festival and the Bucheon Fantastic Film Festival, Korea, amongst others. Yarlagadda expects to close the Korean territory on “Baahubali” imminently.

(Pictured: S.S. Rajamouli signs autographs in Busan Oct. 4.)

 

More Film

  • Oscar Isaac Golden Globes 2016

    Film News Roundup: Oscar Isaac Joins Superhero Movie 'The Great Machine'

    In today’s film news roundup, Oscar Isaac boards “The Great Machine,” Keira Knightley joins “Silent Night” and “The Dog Doc” finds a home. CASTINGS Legendary has closed a deal for Oscar Isaac to star in and produce superhero saga “The Great Machine.” The project is based on Brian K. Vaughan’s comic book series “Ex Machina” [...]

  • Editorial use only. No book cover

    U.S. Movie Admissions Plunge 4.6% in 2019 Amid Box Office Decline

    U.S. movie admissions slid 4.6% last year to 1.24 billion, the second lowest admissions number during the current century, the National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO) has reported. North American box office for the year declined 4.1% to $11.4 billion, NATO said Friday. That figure was in line with the estimate released at the end [...]

  • Editorial use only. No book cover

    'National Treasure 3' Moves Ahead From Disney, Jerry Bruckheimer

    Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer are moving ahead with a third “National Treasure” movie with “Bad Boys for Life” screenwriter Chris Bremner tapped to write the script. Bremner has also signed to write a fourth “Bad Boys” for Sony with Bruckheimer producing. Bruckheimer produced the three “Bad Boys” and the two “National Treasure” movies. The “National [...]

  • Mike (WILL SMITH), Marcus (MARTIN LAWRENCE)

    'Bad Boys 4' in the Works at Sony Pictures

    Sony Pictures has launched early development of an untitled fourth “Bad Boys” movie with “Bad Boys for Life” screenwriter Chris Bremner returning to write the script. Bremner has also signed to write “National Treasure 3” for Disney with Jerry Bruckheimer producing. Bruckheimer produced the three “Bad Boys” and the two “National Treasure” movies. Bremner teamed [...]

  • Corsican Summer, Los Conductos

    Belgium's Best Friend Forever Nabs Berlinale-Bound 'Los Conductos,' 'Corsican Summer' (EXCLUSIVE)

    Brussels-based company Best Friend Forever acquired two debut features, Camilo Restrepo’s Berlinale-bound “Los Conductos” and Pascal Tagnati’s “Corsican Summer.” Both films are produced by up and coming outfit 5à7 films. Set to premiere at the Berlinale’s new competitive section Encounters, “Los Conductos” is a Spanish-language film set in Medellin (Colombia) and loosely based on the [...]

  • Bob Iger

    Bob Iger's Disney Compensation Drops to $47.5 Million in 2019

    Disney chief Bob Iger saw his compensation for 2019 drop to $47.5 million, a 28% decline from his 2018 pay package. Disney’s leader earned $3 million in salary and a $21.8 million bonus, plus another $10 million in stock awards and $9.6 million in stock options, Disney disclosed in the company’s annual proxy filing with [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content