×

Controversial Cut to Busan Festival Budget Unveiled By Korean Film Council

The Korean Film Council (KOFIC) has sharply cut its funding for the Busan International Film Festival, the country’s premiere film event — and critics were quick to describe the cuts as politically motivated.

KOFIC said that it would reduce its funding by 45% from KRW1.46bn ($1.33m) to KRW800m ($733,000). It said that Busan had previously received nearly 40% of the organization’s annual budget, and that it would now increase funding for other film events such as the Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival and the Jeonju festival, which wrapped its annual event last week.

“It is easy to suspect that KOFIC’s budget cut is a political retaliation because we tried to defend BIFF’s artistic freedom,” Busan festival organizers said in a statement sent to KOFIC and circulated to the media.

An industry committee formed some months ago issued a separate statement calling for a “halt to reprisals” against the festival.

The Busan festival has been mired in controversy since last October’s 19th edition. Festival organizers decided to go ahead with the screening of a documentary “The Truth Shall Not Sink With Sewol” (aka “Diving Bell”), which was critical of government rescue efforts after the deadly sinking of the Sewol passenger ferry in April 2014. The Busan city authorities said that the festival should remove the film from its lineup.

Since the festival, BIFF management has come under extreme pressure from city authorities, including open calls for the removal of festival director Lee Yong-kwan.

Lee has managed to stay on, but preparations for the festival’s 20th anniversary edition remain under a cloud.

More Film

  • Chinese actor Xu Zheng holds his

    Golden Horse Organizers Set Clashing Date With China's Golden Rooster Awards

    The prestigious Golden Horse Awards announced Wednesday that it will hold its annual ceremony in Taiwan on the same day this year as China’s Communist-backed Golden Rooster Awards – which virtually assures that no major mainland Chinese talent will attend the event known as Asia’s Oscars on November 23. Hong Kong director Johnnie To will [...]

  • Berlin Film Festival Placeholder Berlinale

    Key Berlin Film Festival Venue Set to Close - or Is It?

    The announcement that German exhibitor CineStar would close its multiplex at Berlin’s famed Sony Center in Potsdamer Platz has thrown the cinema’s participation as a key venue for the Berlin Film Festival into doubt. Whether it actually shutters, however, remains to be seen. British-based Vue International is awaiting approval from German antitrust officials on its [...]

  • Stuber

    ‘Stuber’ Tops Studios’ TV Ad Spending

    In this week’s edition of the Variety Movie Commercial Tracker, powered by the always-on TV ad measurement and attribution company iSpot.tv, Twentieth Century Fox claims the top spot in spending with “Stuber.” Ads placed for the comedy had an estimated media value of $4.91 million through Sunday for 1,325 national ad airings on 42 networks. [...]

  • BTS - J-Hope, V, Jungkook, Jimin,

    BTS' 'Bring the Soul: The Movie' Gets Global Theatrical Release

    BTS will be back on the big screen this summer. The Korean pop group announced today that their latest feature film, “Bring the Soul: The Movie,” will have a global release on August 7. It arrives just six and a half months after the septet’s last film release, “Love Yourself in Seoul.” “Bring the Soul” [...]

  • Box Office: 'Yesterday' Movie Takes on

    Box Office: 'Annabelle Comes Home' and 'Yesterday' Take on 'Toy Story 4'

    The weekend box office has gone to the dolls. “Annabelle Comes Home,” a supernatural horror film about a possessed toy, is facing off against another band of plastic figurines: “Toy Story 4.” Disney-Pixar’s “Toy Story 4” is expected to dominate box office charts again over newcomers “Annabelle Comes Home” and “Yesterday,” a fantasy musical set [...]

  • 'The Current War' Trailer: Benedict Cumberbatch,

    Benedict Cumberbatch and Nicholas Hoult Feud in 'The Current War' Trailer (Watch)

    101 Studios has released an official new trailer for the Martin Scorcese-produced thriller, “The Current War,”  offering a glimpse into the dramatic 19th century battle over electricity that became known as the “war of the currents.” The film, which is a dramatization of real-life events, will follow the tumultuous journey of Thomas Edison, played by [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content