Maker Studios, the Disney-owned multichannel network, will produce at least eight original series as well as live events for Verizon’s Go90 free mobile-video service, including content based on the Mouse House’s “Star Wars” franchise and Marvel comics.
The Maker original series on Go90 will span genres including comedy, dance and tech. In addition to original series, the Verizon wireless-video service — aimed at mobile-oriented millennial users — will carry thousands of short-form videos from Maker’s library refreshed monthly, and will eventually add more than 100 hours of live Maker event coverage from fan events worldwide.
Maker’s “Geekenders,” a cross-country adventure series starring YouTube gaming stars Jesse Cox and Brooke Lawson (“PressHeartToContinue”), is currently live on Go90. The series follows the pair on a road trip across the U.S. where they seek out “geek” alternatives to the usual tourist spots.
Popular on Variety
Go90, which Verizon publicly launched Oct. 1, is free to any users in the U.S. via iOS and Android apps. The telco has signed deals for original content from partners including AwesomenessTV, Vice, New Form Digital and Endemol Beyond USA, and has licensed TV shows and live programming from Viacom, Discovery Communications, Scripps Networks Interactive, ESPN, CBS Sports and Univision.
Upcoming Maker original programming for Go90 is slated to include:
* “Marvel’s Off The Rack”: Hollywood celebs and digital stars explore the world of Marvel Comics through discussions and re-enactments with special cameos from Marvel creators.
* “In A Galaxy”: A collaboration between Morgan Spurlock’s Warrior Poets and Lucasfilm, series explores the lives of 22 “Star Wars” superfans.
* “Defining Beauty” (Season 2): Four African-American beauty influencers — Shameless Maya, SimplyBiancaAlexa, Nik Scott and Taren Guy — examine how society defines beauty.
* “Fantasy Quest”: 3D animated series based on the popular Minecraft video game.
* “Polaris Grand Prix”: Video-game-racing series featuring talent from Maker’s Polaris network including Yogscast, LDShadowLady, CinnamonToastKen and UberHaxorNova.
* “Prank School”: YouTube prankster-magician Rahat takes a protégé under his wing in each episode — but the unsuspecting would-be pranksters become the pranked.
* Untitled Jabbawockeez Project: Dance competition series featuring young hopefuls competing to become part of dance crew’s Jabbawockeez season one winners. A select group will be chosen to go through intensive training and a final audition process, with the winner invited to become the newest member of the group.
“Maker is committed to expanding our premium programming offering and finding audiences wherever they consume content,” said Sam Wick, Maker’s executive VP of business development and operations. “With the wide range of programming being shared on the go90 platform, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.”
“Creative and compelling content creators like Maker continue to seek go90 as the leading platform to bring millennials and younger generations exclusive, live and on-demand content in ways that they prefer – and that’s mobile-first,” said Terry Denson, VP of content acquisition and strategy for Verizon. “Through our commitment with innovative content partners like Maker, Go90 is pairing rich exclusive content with a new emerging video viewing experience.”