Paris’ Bataclan concert hall, where 89 people were killed as part of a coordinated terrorist attack on Nov. 13, had been the target of threats for years, as revealed a video dating from 2008 that has just emerged.
Captured on Dec. 20, 2008, the footage shows about 10 gang members wearing Palestinian scarves over their heads trying to intimidate a Bataclan rep. Speaking on behalf of his “brothers,” the leader of the militant group blames the Bataclan for hosting fundraiser galas for an Israeli nonprofit group called Migdal.
“The Migdgal is a racist group that supports the Israeli army and the Israeli border police at a time when Israel is making victims in Gaza and Cisjordania … and there are brothers from many neighborhoods in Mantes-la-Jolie, the Courneuve, in the 91 and 94 (French suburbs departments) who can’t stand this provocation any longer,” said the man in a threatening voice.
In fact, as Marc Hecker, the current director of publication at the French Insitute of International Relations, told Le Monde newspaper, the galas which were held at the Bataclan in 2007, 2008 and 2009 collected funds for social activities of the Israeli forces rather than to buy military equipment.
The gang member told the man, “We’re just here to deliver a message, but we’re very determined and with all the people who are boiling behind us, we will not be able to contain them for very long as soon as we will know the date of the next manifestation.”
“Next time we come it won’t be to chat,” added the man. “We’re clear, we’re determined and we’ve got the means to proceed.”
The Figaro newspaper had already revealed that the Jihadist Palestinian group Jaish Al-Islam had plotted a terrorist attack against the Bataclan in 2009. The case was known by French intelligence.
The former owner of the Bataclan, Joël Laloux, sold the place to Unlimited Live Entertainment and moved to Israel this September, per Le Monde.