Marco Rubio will officially launch his campaign for president on Monday evening in Miami, after multiple news sources reported that he told top donors earlier in the day that he would wage a bid for the White House.
The 43-year-old senator from Florida will hold a rally in Miami, where he is expected to draw heavily on his biography as a first-generation immigrant whose parents left Cuba in the 1950s and struggled to give their children a better life in the United States.
Industry Republicans have yet to line up behind a favorite candidate at this early stage of the campaign, waiting to see who gains momentum going in to the fall.
While Democrats dominate much of the political scene in Hollywood, the industry has still been a source of significant support for Republican candidates.
Although no declared GOP candidate has yet held a fundraiser geared to entertainment donors, Rubio has spoken before the group Friends of Abe, a fellowship of center-right and conservative figures in entertainment.
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), the two other declared Republicans in the race, also have spoken before the group, which does not raise money for candidates but has helped them establish a profile before writers, directors and crew members.
Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush has not spoken to the group, but he was in Los Angeles last month to raise money for his political action committee in advance of an expected run. Bush raised money at the Bel Air home of Robert Tuttle, who owns a collection of car dealerships and was ambassador to Great Britain under Bush’s brother, President George W. Bush.
Update: At his rally, Rubio cast his campaign as forward-looking, making a dig at Hillary Clinton, who announced her candidacy on Sunday.
“Just yesterday, a leader from yesterday, began a campaign for president by promising to take us back to yesterday,” he said. “Yesterday is over.”