The Los Angeles District Attorney’s office has decided not to file vehicular manslaughter charges against Caitlyn Jenner in the Malibu car crash that left one person dead earlier this year.
An investigation concluded that Jenner was driving “slightly below posted speed limit and minimally slower than victim,” and that she hit the brakes between 1.9 and 1.5 seconds before impact. The D.A.’s report said it could not be proven that Jenner’s conduct was “unreasonable,” and the case was rejected accordingly.
The accident occurred on the Pacific Coast Highway on Feb. 7, and it was reported that Jenner, though she was not going over the speed limit, was driving at an unsafe speed for the road conditions.
According to authorities, victim Kim Howe was driving a Lexus that rear-ended a Toyota Prius driven by Jessica Steindorff. This caused Jenner to rear-end Howe’s car, pushing it into oncoming traffic where a Hummer struck Howe’s car head-on, causing her to die at the scene.
The families of Steindorff and Howe separately sued Jenner, claiming negligence was to blame.
“My heartfelt and deepest sympathies go out to the family and loved ones, and to all of those who were involved or injured in this terrible accident,” Jenner said in a statement a day after the accident. “It is a devastating tragedy, and I cannot pretend to imagine what this family is going through at this time. I am praying for them. I will continue to cooperate in every way possible.”
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department investigated the case for six months before submitting a 161-page report to the D.A. If Jenner was charged with misdemeanor manslaughter, she could have faced up to a year in county jail.
Jenner’s E! docuseries, “I Am Cait,” wrapped its first season earlier this month.