LONDON — A soccer match between France and England, which is due to be played at London’s Wembley Stadium on Tuesday, will go ahead as planned despite security fears following the terrorist attacks in Paris.
As well as the other attacks on Friday in Paris, several bombs exploded outside Paris’ Stade de France, where France’s national soccer team was playing Germany. But despite this, the French soccer federation and England’s Football Association have decided to let Tuesday’s game go ahead.
Greg Dyke, chairman of the Football Association, said: “Our thoughts and sincere condolences are with the city of Paris after these terrible atrocities. On behalf of the F.A., I want to express our sorrow and send our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of those who have lost their lives.
“After consulting this morning with the French Football Federation and the British government, we have decided together that the match between our two countries at Wembley Stadium on Tuesday night should go ahead. We will use the opportunity to pay our respects to all affected and also to express our solidarity with the people of France.”
Even before the Paris attacks, the level of security in the U.K. had been stepped up following reports of the killing in Syria of the Islamic State militant known as “Jihadi John.” The Kuwaiti-born British militant, whose real name is Mohammed Emwazi, is believed to have been killed Thursday in a U.S. drone strike, which was assisted by British drones. One of the terminals at London’s Gatwick Airport was evacuated on Saturday after a “suspicious article” was found, the police said.
Despite the heightened security, a carnival parade in London known as the Lord Mayor’s Show went ahead as planned on Saturday. Some 7,000 people were expected to take part in the event. Two-minutes silence was held to mark the Paris attacks before the parade began. London’s Tower Bridge will be lit in the colors of the French flag from sundown, according to the BBC.