LONDON — Mark Hanna, the former head of security at Rupert Murdoch’s defunct U.K. publishing arm News International, has withdrawn his threat of revealing the company’s secrets. Hanna has now settled his legal dispute with News Corp’s News UK, which replaced News International. Hanna had claimed he had been unfairly dismissed from his job.
News International published tabloid newspapers The Sun and The News of the World, which was closed by Murdoch after evidence that some members of its staff were involved in phone hacking. Hanna had stood trial alongside former News International chief Rebekah Brooks over allegations connected with the phone-hacking charges. They were both acquitted.
Hanna was made redundant by News UK after the trial, and claimed he was unable to find work due to the stigma of the case. When Brooks returned to work as CEO at News UK, Hanna said he would go public with fresh revelations of wrongdoing.
In a YouTube video Hanna posted on Sept. 3, he said: “I am now standing up against those that sit back and treat us all with contempt — the Murdochs and Brookses of the world. Very soon I intend to make it known how underhanded they have been.” He added: “I intend to tell you everything that I know, which I am sure will shock everybody.”
However, this weekend Hanna changed his tune, and posted a statement in which he said: “I am pleased to say that I have settled my employment tribunal claim against News UK.
“I posted a YouTube video on 3 September 2015, in which I made allegations regarding illegal activity by the company and its representatives.
“Prior to reaching settlement with the company and making this statement, the company provided me and my representatives with documents and additional information not previously available to me that shed light on my allegations. Having reviewed this material, I no longer believe the allegations I made to be true. I am also satisfied that I was not dismissed because of any protected disclosure,” he said.