‘True Detective’ Season 2 Will Have Three Leads, California Setting

true detective

More details have emerged about the cast and setting of “True Detective” season two, which will have three new leads, according to creator Nic Pizzolatto.

In a recent interview with public radio program “To the Best of Our Knowledge,” Pizzolatto revealed that in the new season’s current form, “we’re working with three leads. It takes place in California — not Los Angeles, but some of the much lesser known venues of California — and we’re going to try to capture a certain psychosphere ambiance of the place, much like we did in season one.”

He added, “The characters are all new, but I’m deeply in love with each of them. We’ve got the entire series broken out with a couple of scripts, and we’ll probably start casting in earnest in the coming months.”

The show’s anthology format means that season two will be entirely self-contained and distinct from its freshman year, with no plans for season one stars Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson to return — something that differentiates the series from FX’s “American Horror Story,” which recycles actors from past seasons in new roles.

Pizzolatto previously told HitFix that “True Detective” season two would be about “hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.”

Last week, rumors circulated that “Zero Dark Thirty” star Jessica Chastain was offered a role in season two, but the actress denied the buzz on the red carpet at Cannes. “It’s an awkward thing because when all that attention happens — it takes away from whoever plays the role,” she said. “I’m a big fan of the series. I’m going to watch the second season just like I watched every episode of the first.”

1. yvonne Jones says:

Cannot believe that neither Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson will not be in the next season. My 2 fave actors and brilliant together. Think this a big mistake and i am not sure whether to carry on with series. Dissapointed,bitterly. Bought blur ay just because it was those two. Ratings will declibe with out them. Spoke to lots of people who feel the same as me. Won’t get better than Matthew McConaughy..no chance

2. JimmY says:

I think Season 2 will be good as it will be fresh and totally different. I hope the theme isn’t political as it’s been done too many times before and is now very boring. I also don’t think that they should have brought in a female cop, it loses the ‘edge’. It’s hard to make a woman look ‘edgy’ without her looking like a pyscho ! And she cant be ‘hard ‘ as she looks like a b**ch ! It adds too much softness to the show to have a female cop. They needed to keep the two male detectives as the main leading roles. Can you imagine a woman in Mathew ‘s role ? Or indeed as Woody’s character? I’m sure that they’ll bring back Woody and Mathew in Season 4 !

3. JimmY says:

If they ‘d used Woody and Mathew for Season 2 , it would’ve been too repetitive. I was a tad disappointed at ending of Season 1 . The killer and his surroundings were very cliche . They should have thought of something more original

4. norA says:

i will no longer watch it without woody or matthew they had great chemistry they made the show

5. naomi says:

It won’t be the same without Woody & Mathew.

6. Helen Cullen says:

Without Mathew and Woody it will be just another cop series, of which there are a lot on tv. I won’t be bothered watching

7. maxie says:

Loved season 1 w/Matthew and Woody, not looking forward to season 2 without them.. but will watch the first week and see what happens.

8. John lucas says:

They should cast Eric Bana as one of the detectives in S2

9. Sable senegal says:

Okay thank God it won’t be an los angeles setting.I live in northern calif. The next season of true detective should be filmed in this area. The bay area has lots of unknown locations. Big fan of last season’s cast.

10. Robert Reed says:

I’m disappointed that Marty and Rust won’t be returning. The last episode left unanswered questions and unrepentant murders on the loose; I figured they’d be coming back to finish the job. There were a couple of scenes where I thought mistakes were made. When Marty entered the storage unit, Rust asked him what he was packing. Marty answered a.38; that revolver was a .357 not a .38. When they found Errol through the tax records of the green house, that was a mistake too. Maintainence on your primary residence is not a tax deduction, the owner could not have taken the write off. And finally, this is not a mistake but something I noted. When the guy committed suicide in his jail cell the jail guard’s name was Childress, maybe he killed the prisoner?

11. moebius22 says:

Good call. Season 1 was a self encapsulated story.

12. J Cuhrt says:

No Matthew, no Woody, no Louisiana, NO WATCHEE!

13. fozzy says:

I’m sure they will get back to season ones story before this series is over. In their last conversation they said this case is much bigger, but someone else will have to finish.

14. Peter Rizzo says:

Wish I could be part of this show.

15. Tristan says:

“the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.” – Thomas Pynchon is co-writing the next season?

16. Jess says:

No Matthew…No Woody…No Louisiana…I am not watching!! They were two of the best characters I’ve ever seen!!

• BILJANA BOSKOVSKI says:

Changing crew? Stupid idea, nobody will watch it anymore!

• sullivan says:

they lost my family too. taking woody and matt out killed it. this was the only drama I actually watched every show and wanted more. now someone with brilliant idea killed the series

17. Bart says:

Might have the same name but won’t be the sam without the same cast.

18. Up and down the Great Valley of California in the small towns there would be a magnificent and largely underutilized location.

19. “It takes away from whoever plays the role” What the hell does that mean? The better job you do, the worse it is? What?

• Dylaj says:

I think she means if people are misled to believe she will have the role, then when they do see who actually gets it, they’ll be distracted by thoughts of what might have been, and thus not appreciate the actual final actor as much as they would otherwise.

20. IG says:

damn i wish chastain would change her mind. she’d kill it on the show

• Hugh Janus says:

I don’t think it’s so much her not wanting the role as it is that she might not have been offered a role. The article states that they have not begun casting in earnest

21. Tina says:

Honestly after season one of True Detective and its lead actors for me they absolutely made the show and I just don’t see how that you can top that or why you would want to replace them. They were awesome and made me not want to miss a single second of it.

• Jackson says:

I’m pretty sure that McConaughey and Harrelson agreed to do the show because it would only be one season. Neither wanted to commit to a multiple season series. It’s not a question of the writers wanting to replace them, it’s just the way it was planned from the start.

• socrates says:

The main concept of the series is that it’s supposed to be based on the “True Detective” type paperback novels from back in the day. These stories featured an ever-changing cast of characters in mystery one-offs. If you keep the same characters, it defeats the entire point of the series. The 1st season’s tale has been told, and its time for something different. They are going to change actors every season, get used to it.

• celinej says:

Couldn’t agree with you more, Socrates. It is as it should. The two guys gave so much into the portrayal of the characters and I personally wouldn’t want to see the surrealistic element taken away from them / the Ist serie.

22. Steven Cady says:

Two male roles were so successful why ruin that by doing the opposite of three female roles… talk about unrealistic and underwhelming start to one of my favorite stories.

• Fi says:

LOL, you are whining and the cast hasn’t been even announced yet? Nothing in the article said that the 3 leads were going to be all female, either. Talk about a knee-jerk whiny reaction.

Now I’m hoping for only “token male” characters for True Detective S2, ones that have to do tons of nude/sex scenes. Just for you.

23. John E says:

So the only thing new they told us was that it would be in CA… because they already said before season 2 would be a different story/characters/actors.

24. Will it have the worst ending in recorded history, complete with gaping holes and unexplained phenomena? You know, like the first season…

• Hugh Janus says:

I guess you should maybe, you know, not watch it if you didn’t like it. Though I guess you have a need to get onto a comment section and express your dissatisfaction simply for the attention. Hope your real life works out better.

25. ytg137 says:

Season 1 was phenomenal! Reading McConaughey & Harrelson won’t be back is a huge disappointment. They were the whole reason I watched season 1 (it was both intriguing & slow for the first few episodes, but took off from there).

I don’t know if I’ll watch season 2. I’m sure they’ll do a fine job with the show, but there’s a lot of good TV programs & only so much time in the week.

26. Catherine adonetto says:

awesome …..

27. anitathepianist says:

It’s a disappointment that the original two actors are not returning. It’s like the Wizard of Oz with no Dorothy. The chemistry between the two was the magic, the music and the setting were perfect background, but without those two, it has little appeal to me. If watching, I would be constantly wishing that they were there..

• April says:

It’s not like the Wizard of Oz with no Dorthy because there will be no wizard and it won’t be set in OZ. It’s a completely new story set in a new location with new actors. The only thing that will be the same is it will have detectives in it and will be written by the same people who gave us the original. Give it a chance. It has the same great team behind it and you may find you like this one as well.

• Kingslayer says:

You don’t even know what Season 2 is about yet, nor who is starring in it. McConnaughey and Harrelson were phenomenal but I have no doubt in my mind that Pizzolatto and Fukunaga can make any actor/actresses look great. They’ve got a winning formula here. Would I love to see more Rust Cohle? Absolutely. But that’s not going to happen. I’m excited for Season 2 and whatever it entails.

28. fergbat says:

Just stay away from the recent HBO format of: good story flow, interrupted by gratuitous sex scene after 10-15 minutes, back to story, incorrect out-of-setting cursing (hence F$#k in GOT…really?), another sex scene, good story. The sex scenes seem to be “put in ” for ratings and add nothing to the story. TD had a great story of sexual nature, but the whole McCaunahey sex scene with harrelson’s wife? not needed and was cheesy. Harrelson’s sex with young ex-hooker was also unneccessary to show, would have had a better effect if alluded to. Even Penny Dreadful (showtime)…same format. its getting old.

• Hugh Janus says:

What exactly is “out-of-setting cursing”? Are you suggesting that the use of “F#ck” in GoT is historically inaccurate? What with the ice zombies, dragons, and fire gods, we wouldn’t want to get too fantastical…Apparently you can’t use the F-bomb in a fictional story

• Logan says:

I think you’re over-exaggerating. It’s also obvious that sex scenes make you uncomfortable. Sex scene with Harrelson’s wife not needed? Really? It lead to the whole falling out between them.

You might want to stick to network Television. It’s more PG, which is what you seem to want.

• John Snow says:

If you read GoT, none of that is out of place…geez…If you want shows that simply imply everything, maybe you shouldn’t be watching HBO and Showtime series…

29. Rob Dunley says:

Mary-louse Parker would be a great addition

30. They should get Noomi Rapace non board!

31. Dez Nolan says:

Any chance of a female director taking on a future season? Might help some of HBO’s women problem (and don’t pretend they don’t know that they have one; the network that once brought us stories about female friendships now just brings us copious shows for gay and straight dude bros; even GIRLS is really pretty much for dudes, at this point). Might help them stop feeling like they’re marginalizing half of the population, like the rest of the entertainment biz, if they were to bring on a director like Kim Peirce, Patty Jenkins, Lexi Alexander, Sarah Polley — or any of the myriad other amazing women out there who would rock it.

• Fi says:

“Any chance of a female director taking on a future season? Might help some of HBO’s women problem”

Probably wouldn’t help. GoT has a (lone) female director (Michelle MacLaren) and she’s been putting in not-really-women friendly scenes into her episodes. One rape scene was basically just an excuse for a bouncing tits shot. :-/ There are (presumably male) producers on set that are instructing the directors to add female nudity specifically. Neil Marshall was instructed to add such a scene in S2 by a someone that said they represented the “pervert side” of the audience. At least Marshall’s was semi-tasteful, but they have been getting worse and worse each season. Mainly because they are adding more violence to the mix. It’s getting old, tbh.

I didn’t watch True Detective (mainly because I heard the complaints about the treatment of the female characters) and I’ve had enough of that from GoT, really. From what I understand, HBO was asking for all of the female nudity…the creative team didn’t have it in the script originally?

I don’t think anything will change until these “pervy producers” stop butting into the creative process. That’s on HBO.

• rachaeledits says:

As a woman, I can assure you that HBO does not have a “women problem” and Girls is still very much a show for girls. Veep, Doll & Em, Enlightened, Ja’mie: Private School Girl, Getting On, and True Blood have all had strong female leads and/or casts on HBO within the last year or two. I don’t see any other network on television with the same track record in programming for women over recent years…

• DC says:

Naw. They actually want viewers.