×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Three New Cosby Accusers Come Forward at Press Conference

At a Wednesday press conference in Los Angeles, three more women came forward to accuse Bill Cosby of assault while attorney Gloria Allred challenged the comedian to waive the statute of limitations and stand trial. Allred proposed that alternatively he could establish a $100 million fund to settle with the victims, with retired judges ruling on the awards.

“The ball is in his court,” Allred said.

Beth Ferrier, a Colorado resident, says she was an aspiring model in the 1980s when she had a relationship with Cosby. “He drugged me and sexually assaulted me,” she told the crowd at the press conference, explaining that he slipped drugs in her cappuccino after the relationship had ended. Ferrier was known as Jane Doe No. 5 in the earlier Andrea Constand lawsuit. “I want Mr. Cosby to face justice for what he has done to me and so many other women,” Ferrier said.

“His behavior was like that of a predator,” said the second accuser, Northern California resident Helen Hayes, describing how Cosby followed her and her friends around in 1973 and grabbed her breast.

The third, Chelan, was 17 years old at the time she met Cosby in 1986. He gave her a blue pill in a hotel room, she said, and she passed out while he was lying on a bed with her, giving her $1,500 after she woke up. Allred said that at this point they would not comment as to whether Chelan, a California resident, has already brought her case to law enforcement or whether she plans to go to law enforcement with the charges.

“Under no circumstances would I ever give advice to Cosby,” Allred said, but “I did make some proposals which I think he should consider seriously.”

“There are many people who are suffering out there,” she said, predicting that many more victims will continue to come forward.

Cosby’s attorney, Martin Singer, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. But his office has previously released statements contending that the allegations are “an unprecedented example of the media’s breakneck rush to run stories without any corroboration or adherence to traditional journalistic standards.”

At the press conference, each of the women fought back tears as they read statements. As Allred answered questions afterward, she embraced Chelan.

Ferrier claims that when Constand filed her lawsuit in 2005, she saw a story about it in the National Enquirer and contacted the publication to tell her story. She said they told her they would only publish her story if she took a lie detector test, which she says she did and she passed.

But the Enquirer did not run her interview and instead ran an exclusive interview with Cosby, in which he denied the allegations. “I have recently learned that Mr. Cosby admitted in his deposition in 2005 that he did not want the National Enquirer to publish my story because ‘it would make the public believe that maybe Andrea was telling the truth.'”

Allred said that her proposal would give alleged victims an opportunity to “have their allegations dealt with on the merits” and for Cosby to address the allegations “in a court of law and the victims and Mr. Cosby would have an opportunity to have a judge and jury decide who should be believed.”

Popular on Variety

More TV

  • Samsung Makes Bid to Keep Viewers

    Samsung Makes Bid to Keep Viewers From Skipping Fox Ad Breaks

    Fox is hoping to knit together the seconds-long divide between a TV program and the commercials that support it. During ad breaks for a few football broadcasts, tomorrow’s run of the Emmys and Wednesday’s season premiere of “The Masked Singer,” the network will kick off ad sessions with special show promos that display artistic renderings [...]

  • Patria

    HBO Europe Unveils ‘Patria’ Footage to Captive San Sebastian Audience

    SAN SEBASTIAN — Amid large expectation, HBO Europe has revealed first footage giving a first sense of tone and pace of its Spanish original series “Patria.” A packed-to-overflowing press conference on Saturday morning at the San Sebastian Festival can be read as one sign of the potential popularity of the eight-part series. The panel sneak-peek [...]

  • Topic Studios

    Layoffs Hit Topic Studios as TV Division Relocates to West Coast (EXCLUSIVE)

    A small round of layoffs has hit Topic Studios this week in the television division, insiders familiar with the company told Variety. One of the insiders said three executives at the New York-based producer and distributor are out: senior vice president of scripted programming and Viacom alum Lisa Leingang, vice president of development Mona Panchal [...]

  • Peter Weber and Mike Johnson

    'The Bachelor's' Mike Johnson on Diversity and New Leading Man Peter Weber

    ABC named its newest star of “The Bachelor” this week, officially making Peter Weber the leading man for Season 24 of the long-running dating show. Social media backlash ensued following the announcement due to ABC’s selection lacking diversity, yet again. Since the dating franchise began in 2002, there has been only one “Bachelorette” of color [...]

  • ABC Studios Logo

    ABC Studios Head of Alternative Fernando Hernandez Exits

    ABC Studios’ head of alternative Fernando Hernandez has departed from his post at the Disney-owned television studio, a source familiar with the situation told Variety. The Hollywood Reporter first reported the news. Hernandez’s exit follows an executive shuffling at the top in recent months that has included the departure of Amy Hartwick, ABC Studio’s head [...]

  • Rob Cowan, Greg Silverman'The Conjuring 2'

    Greg Silverman’s Stampede, School of Rock Team for Unscripted Series (EXCLUSIVE)

    Former president of Warner Bros. Pictures Greg Silverman is partnering with School of Rock through his content creation company Stampede. The collaboration with the music school will create exclusive content, starting with the development of an unscripted series.  School of Rock operates a network of performance-based education franchises that offer students of all ages guidance [...]

  • TV Roundup: Erica Durance Reprises 'Smallville'

    TV News Roundup: Erica Durance Reprises 'Smallville' Role in 'Arrowverse' Crossover

    In today’s TV news roundup, Erica Durance reprises her “Smallville” role in the CW’s annual “Arrowverse” crossover, and Showtime shares with Variety an exclusive sneak peek at the return of “The Circus.” FIRST LOOKS “2020 is the most important election of our lifetime,” Alex Wagner says in a new trailer for the fourth season of [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content