‘Sherlock’ Season 4 to Film in 2015

Sherlock: His Last Vow Emmy Race

Sherlock” will return for a fourth season in 2015-16, the BBC announced Wednesday. The new season will consist of a special episode, which will begin filming in January 2015, and three episodes, which will commence production later in the year and will likely appear in early 2016.

Co-creator, writer and executive producer Steven Moffat said of the show’s return: “A special, plus a new series of three episodes — it’s a record-breaking run! Of course, it’s far too early to say what’s coming, but we’re reasonably confident that the very next thing to happen to Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) and John (Martin Freeman) is the very last thing you’d expect…”

Co-creator, writer and executive producer Mark Gatiss added, “Series four! At last! It’s always special to return to ‘Sherlock’ but this time it’s even more special as we’re doing… a special! Not only that, we’ll then be shooting three more episodes which will take Sherlock and John Watson into deeper and darker water than ever before. The whole ‘Sherlock’ team are terrifically excited to return for four new adventures. The game is on — again!”

“It’s taken a little while to get the dates sorted as none of the boys is exactly sitting back twiddling their thumbs but there was unanimous goodwill to make this work, so we’re thrilled that 221b is going to be inhabited again,” said Sue Vertue, executive producer, Hartswood Films.

“Sherlock” is written and created by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, and inspired by the works of Arthur Conan Doyle. The drama is produced by Sue Vertue and the executive producers are Beryl Vertue, Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat for Hartswood Films, Bethan Jones for BBC Cymru Wales and Rebecca Eaton for Masterpiece.

Exact dates for the show’s return to the BBC in the U.K. and PBS in the U.S. have yet to be announced.

1. Irfan says:

waiting eagerly

2. Even though I am a 15-years old Filipino, I really admire this British movie series about a detective solving cases… Sherlock is the best! Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are both cool and awesome..I will certainly wait for it’s season 4!. Defeat Moriarty!

3. goshhh… can’t wait to watch the season 4! I’m so EXCITED!

4. bill says:

Tired of these geek franchises taking up Sherlock time. First it was Iron man and whatever else geeks jerk to, sucking the life out of Robert Downey Jr. when he could have been making the third installment of Sherlock – now – it’s Star Trek and Hobbit heads killing Sherlock BBC. Fcuk off – will you!

5. I KNOW WHAT WILL SHERLOCK DO IN SEASON 4 ……HE WILL KILL MORIALITY…I M WAITING FOR THE EAST WIND TO COME SOON.

6. Come on! What is taking them?.. and why only three a year?

• kittie20020 says:

What’s taking them is that both actors were signed on for different movies. The three Hobbit movies required both of them and then BC was signed up for Marvel to play Dr. Strange. As for the 3 a year: in addition to it being because Steven Moffat has other obligations (including Dr. Who) and the actors have other obligations (listed above), the episodes are twice as long as normal episodes, which makes filming difficult AND it follows the original release of the Sherlock Holmes stories by design.

7. Carly says:

Seriously, guys. When does the special air?

8. Ian Polando says:

I’m dying to see sherlock season four-biggest fan obsessed with the show

9. Tracy says:

My husband & I love the show! Excited for Season 4!

10. JSintheStates says:

Snooze… it seems as if British writers have discovered celebrity, and have quit writing! Just maybe if writers actually wrote meaningful stories with character development, instead of showrunning, and grandstanding with world-wide promotional tours, we’d have better television episodes! And who pays for all this adoration and hyperbole, why the faceless consumer! That’s why iTunes episodes jump from $3 to $7 per episode!

11. oh my God, i am very happy, i love Benedict and Martin

12. iamsherlockedmg says:

i love benedict and sherlick lol :)))

13. Lika says:

Sherlock <3i think this serial is the best !! <3 I'm shorloked

14. yea Yea Yea YEA ! It’s such an outstanding show. The actors, the costumes, lighting. The writing is superb!

15. Reblogged this on burnthymindpalace and commented:
    Finally. <3 <3 <3

16. Cassy says:

This is to say I entirely agree with CorinthianPony and ruefulme in that Sherlock Series 3 was utterly disappointing – although I’m still a big fan of the first two series. In my eyes this was mainly due to the writing and story-telling. The actors worked hard to bring the story across despite its logical flaws and inconsistencies. Take the third episode of series 3 as an example: How likely is it that a man like Magnussen can pee into 221B’s fireplace with our heroes standing by watching it? This scene is unexpectedly crass but doesn’t help the plot develop. Neither do we need James Bond-style elements – originally it was the strength of the first two series to tell thrilling, engaging stories without predictable, blockbuster-like helicopter/shooting scenes. If I wanted a story with secret service agents at its centre, I wouldn’t turn to “Sherlock”. So I do hope that the next films are going to be more like the stories of series 1 and 2 again which seem to have been more award-worthy anyway.

17. CorinthianPony says:

The sad thing about BBC Sherlock is that, as television, it’s only gotten worse as it goes along. Series 3 was the nadir – the episodes were so self-satisfied and self-reflective that it seemed like it was only written for the cultish fans who are in on the jokes. The writing is just so much logorrhea, far worse than Gilmore Girls or The West Wing; a lot of noise that sounds semi-intelligent yet signifies nothing. And as for being canonical – it just isn’t. If you name the characters anything but Sherlock and Watson, it might be OK, but they had to make it Sherlock Holmes, and it just has never worked as that. It’s one more alternate-universe Sherlock Holmes like so many others, but even there it’s off-base. It’s not even very inventive: the Rathbone movies did “modern-day” Sherlock Holmes 70 years ago. The Downey movies do comedy and action better. “Elementary” does the Holmes-Watson relationship much better (so do the Downey movies, some to think of it). No – the cult audience is into it for the homoerotic overtones and the slash fan fiction, which…we’ve also seen before.

• ruefulme says:

–> The weird thing is that most of those cultish fans are disappointed with Season 3 as well. We wanted good character development and a well-thought-out plot; and to mix it with the slashy, cultish fan culture is up to us.(And believe me, we don’t really want Sherlock and John to make out on TV. We are as sick of the queerbaiting as you are.) But Season 3 is first of all not well-written…. it is out of character and not consistent with the first two series….and it also gave a vague feeling of ridiculing and teasing fangirls. So in fact I am seeing faaaaaaar less slash fanfiction about it, and a lot of disappointed fans leaving Sherlock for some other TV series.

18. Den says:

never watche Elementary, never will it;s Sherlock and Holmes in London all the way .

19. Tammy says:

I know a couple of people who watch “Sherlock” and “Elementary” and enjoy them both. But I think “Elementary” tips the scale on the negative side for me because the characters are in the U.S. and not in London, and the Watson character is a woman. It’s just… eh.
    Also, “Sherlock” puts a modern twist on actual Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories. (But to be honest with you, I haven’t watched enough “Elementary” to see if they are doing the same thing.

20. Tammy says:

That’s okay. As long as they assure us that this fabulous show will return, I’m good.

21. Matt Mozingo says:

Weird thing is my friends are sharing this and the title says “‘Sherlock’ Season 4 to Air in 2015” yet it says film on here. Reading it, shows that we will most likely not see it in 2015 (save for the holiday special)

• Living the Geek Life says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one to notice that all these people saying “Series 4 will air in 2015” are assuming incorrect things from BBC’s official announcement. It appears that we’ll get the actual series post-Special in early 2016. Not a huge difference, but I do expect Variety, at least, to report accurate airdates.

22. Tammy says:

YAAAAY!!!!
    SOOOOOO happy to hear this!
    WOOT!!!
    I know “Elementary” is on… out there… somewhere… ‘doing its thing.’ But I just can’t get into it. It’s just not for me. Nope. Not at all. (Although I must say that I’m also not crazy about the Robert Downey Jr. version of the great detective, either.)
    So I guess I’m saying – like the “Goldilocks and the Three Bears” story – that “Elementary” is ‘too hard,’ Robert Downey Jr.’s version is too soft—
    but Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are ‘just right.’

• CorinthianPony says:

I’m more a fan of the RDJ movies – I don’t find them “soft” at all. They are big, gutsy, inventive and creative takes on Sherlock Holmes, set in a beautifully rendered Victorian universe, They are without question my favorite of the current Sherlock Holmes versions, though comparing them to mere TV shows is like apples and oranges. Two different things.

• Living the Geek Life says:

Actually, I’m a fan of both TV versions and find both of their interpretations very enjoyable!

23. Peggy Brown says:

Woo Hoo! Love this show and these actors. It’s about time. BBC here in the states never have any Sherlock Holmes & Watson. More than ready but sad it’s taking so long.

24. Lilacs says:

No need to hurry with this. Elementary is NOW and it is GREAT!

• CorinthianPony says:

Elementary is fantastic — a much better Holmes-Watson relationship than the BBC one. The default mode of the BBC is Sherlock running around solving stuff while Watson follows him like a little lost, fat puppy.

• Rachel says:

Elementary is absolutely NOTHING like the original novels. At least BBC adapted the stories well for series one. I despise Elementary because it’s not Sherlock and John. It’s a detective and his woman. It’s a cop show, and discredits SACD’s amazing work. The characters are out of character so much they’re unrecognizable, plus the setting and gender-bending cause it to fall flat. I’m sure I would have enjoyed it more if it were ANYTHING like the stories I adore so much, and maybe named the characters something else to destroy all connections to the original. That’s why I like BBC. The creators are big fans of the novels and portray the characters in the modern setting well. While they did stray from the books in the third season and did a bit too much fan service, it’s still an excellent show in all aspects.

25. Farjad says:

Sherlock, House of Cards …. ugh 2015 seems light years away!!

26. Kylee says:

Is this another prank?

27. alistaircrane says:

Sounds like a Christmas special in 2015, then a regular season in 2016. Good news!

28. Shelley b says:

They are or they aren’t exactly sitting back and twiddling their thumbs?

29. elenat says:

So Benedict quit the “Lost city of Z”??? ((((

• Living the Geek Life says:

“Lost City of Z” is still in development but with no firm production schedule yet, and nothing indicates that’s changed. This is probably one of the commitments that they talked about in their quotes as having to work around to shoot this.

30. geo says:

Well that’s the best news I’ve heard all week!

31. Akhila says:

waiting for u

32. Melanie says:

The special will be on for Christmas 2015 on bbc hoping for the series 4 to continue maybe February or March of 2016 hopefully!!

33. Living the Geek Life says:

I hate to pick nits, but the BBC’s announcement doesn’t actually say Series 4 will be airing in 2015. It says that *production* will be done in 2015. Martin Freeman’s comments indicated only that a special would be airing at Xmas of 2015. Since the BBC indicates that the special will be filmed first, this gives almost no time for Series 4 to air before the new year as well.

• Lindsey L. says:

No, however it says filming for the special will begin January of 2015 and production for the following will begin later that year. So theoretically they would be getting it done and ready for early 2016. And honestly how much later is that than Christmas… or the holidays… Like half a month. That’s if it aired at the beginning of January. But I wouldn’t see it being eons after the airing of the special.

• Living the Geek Life says:

I agree that S4 is likely to air in early 2016 (and I’m super-excited!), but everyone is saying that “Series 4 will air in 2015”, and that appears to be wrong assumptions/information.