‘Pretty Little Liars’ Renewed for Two More Seasons

pretty little liars

In anticipation of tonight’s season-five premiere, ABC Family has ordered two more seasons of ratings darling “Pretty Little Liars,” Variety has learned.

Season six is set to air mid-2015, and season seven will air mid-2016.

The teen drama, which originally focused on four high schoolers trying to solve their friend’s murder while also being the victims of a mysterious bully, is the top series in the network’s history in both total viewers (3.8 million) and across all target demos. It has also been TV’s top cable telecast in the hour for 95 consecutive original telecasts in females 12-34.

The show’s success stems largely from its integrated social-media strategies, which helped it break the record for the most-tweeted scripted series telecast of all time. “Liars” recently became Instagram’s top scripted television series based on total followers, according to ListenFirst Media, and luxury car dealer Audi recently announced a partnership with the series to show choice “Liars” tidbits on teen-friendly social site Snapchat.

“’Pretty Little Liars’ has taken its place in the zeitgeist and reigns supreme in pop culture,” said ABC Family prexy Tom Ascheim, who announced the news with Kate Juergens, exec VP of original programming and development and CCO. “I am glad to bring another two seasons to our audience, because ‘A’ has a lot in store for our Liars.”

“Liars” was created by I. Marlene King and is based on the series of books by Sara Shepard. It is produced by Alloy Entertainment, Gaslight Productions and Russian Hill Productions in association with Warner Horizon Television, and is exec produced by King, Oliver Goldstick, Leslie Morgenstein and Joseph Dougherty.

It returns at 8 p.m. tonight.

1. Tammy Dorr says:

I am am 55 and have watched every season of PLL. I think it should be on 3 until the entire series is done. ABC Family did wrong when they took off The Lying Game. A very interesting show. PLL is one of, if not the best cable show. Keep it going past season 7.

2. 5654funny says:

there are two girls that are not mention in pll sarah harvey and jane doe drake if her existence is real I saw her in the gazbeo while i went to picture images bethany young and jane doe are completely different girls and thar why we need pll season 8 and season 9

3. Jaida says:

I love and love pretty little lairs I watched it 3 times already I have Emily’s chlothes and Aria I love Alison and Toby and Spencer . I think you should put it on and on I think you should put it on till 10 seasons u should put Alison on and the 5 girls together and I what to know who Ali dates

4. Ana says:

well even if the girls graduate high school they have the whole summer before being sent off to different colleges, or they could do the whole community college for two years before transferring to a university which would make more sense in the PLL world considering they cant be seniors in high school for two more seasons

5. chezcrisden says:

unless the liars graduate this year, and decide to have different a’s,
    follow them at different colleges,

the real “A” might not be revealed. aren’t they in 12 grade?

• anonymous says:

aria and the girls, find shana in court, when testifiying for or against cece, for weliand’s murder,

mona insists she killed the officer.

shana realy explains her motive; spencer’s sister helps paige and Emily get back together,

while mona pretends to have at with Alison.

6. Juan says:

Ami me parece que PLL con 5 temporadas es suficiente, ademas de que ya esta apunto de descubrirse -A, pero como veo van a enbolatar el descubrimiento de -A, felicitaciones a PLL por ser una gran serie de gran exito, pero 5 temporadas son suficientes, ya es hora de que descubran a -A y de los casos inconlusos que ya estan por descubrirse, pero bueno yo seguire viendo la serie hasta el final…

7. *antonia* says:

you’re all arguing about who -A is….it’s common sense…they want us to keep watching!! though it would really kill me to know who -A is

8. Elise says:

Ok. I am a true PLL fan but come on. 2 more seasons, 2 more years, TOO long. I mean reading these comments I know some are a little rude, but I agree with some of them. Like how are you going to make them be in Senior Year for 2 more seasons, and are you going to tell us who -A is in the 5 season or make us just wait until the 7 season. I’m going to be so mad if all this watching PLL and the very last episode of season 7 yall dont even tell us who -A is just like in the books. But OK I’ll take your challenge to keep watching until the very end. I love this show and I’m up to see who -A is and find out what happens. #PLL

9. Kameron says:

Great now we won’t find out who “A” is until stinkin Season 11!! Gosh!

10. Sophie says:

These two seasons are going to be boring as hell, just like season 4 from the middle. They can’t show us more things about A and in most episodes basically nothing happens. I love this show, but 5 seasons are enough.

11. Sofie says:

Congratulations!❤️ I love PLL 💖

12. Chiara says:

I can’t believe they really renewed it for 2 more seasons. And I can’t believe there are people really happy about it! This show was fun at the beginning, but now? How many times can the writers start all over again? There are some kind of shows that at some point MUST end if they don’t want to became ridicoulous and PLL is one of them.

• Rena Moretti says:

When you have a fake hit, it’s not enough any longer to renew it for a mere season. Word is starting to come out that flops are renewed routinely for a year nowadays, so you amp it up to two years.

After all, that way, you’ve tied up the money for the long term and you can be sure never to find that annoying hit.

13. For those who are saying that this show can’t last much longer, I hate to break it to you there was a show called M*A*S*H that was about the Korean War and it started in 1972 and ended in 1983. The creators made a 3 (1950-1953) year war span 11 years. It was highly popular and it went out on top in 1983. To this day it’s series finale is still ranked at #1 with all the people tuning in to see how it ended. Pretty Little Liars can easily make it 2 more years and still go out on top. If you don’t like the direction the show is going stop watching it. I will continue to watch it until it ends. This show is super popular and if they can make it last a little longer then I am ok with that

• Rena Moretti says:

I don’t really care if ABC Family wants to saddle itself with another low-rated show for two more years… What I care about is the idea that it’s a hit. It’s not!

It’s a low-rated show.

Don’t echo the PR line like a Variety journalist!

14. Read the damn books if you want answers that bad. The TV series may not follow 100%, but it can’t have been changed that much.

15. Amanda says:

I love pretty little liars. It’s like a guilty pleasure. But come on. They can only be in high school… Well senior year to be exact so long. This will be the third season of senior year. I don’t see how they are going to get 2 more seasons out of high school. Marlene said in an interview she didn’t want to follow the liars to college.

• Alex Rhodes says:

Look the books, they made like 7 books of senior year and they are 2 and one more (the last one, still not out) about the summer before college. And there is where the series ends, so if Sarah can do that and get reall stuff, then Marlene can do it. SPOILER if you read the tabitha thing you we’ll see it’s like the Shana incident in the 5×01 end

16. Ryan says:

This is disappointing

Despite the ridicule I receive from my peers and co-workers, I have grown to enjoy this show. To call my relationship with this program obsessive would be an understatement.

I do, however, understand that all good stories must come to an end. If you don’t let it end when the time is right, it can turn a once captivating story into total garbage. Right now PLL is approaching that point.

The plot here can only go on for so long, and really, every season is basically the same:

– Who is A?
    – We really think A is this person
    – All the evidence is piling up to look like this person is A
    – There is no question that this person is A
    – Crazy plot twist – make me wait several months –
    – Person that we though was A is not. It was all just coincidence. Back to square one.

I admit, up to this point the writers have done a respectable job at reinventing the same basic plot season after season. But with each passing season there are more questions and no real answers.

The show is to the point where there needs to be answers and resolution. To drag this story out for another two seasons without becoming over-the top and feeling like its just being redundant and dragging-on is going to be an uphill battle, and one that I don’t believe will be successful. I suspect the final episode of the series will involve a silent Michael C Hall living out his days as a lumberjack.

17. J says:

Really excited that PLL is renewed for 2 more seasons. Wasn’t happy when The Lying Game got cancelled too early. I personally don’t mind waiting to find out who “A” is. Yeah, the cliffhangers suck t the end of each season just cuz we have to wait for more answers, but for me, it keeps me interested. I love the show & always will.

18. John - England says:

All successful series fall into the same trap.
    1st series huge success. TV company demand a full second season. The writers have to keep the plot going. Series 3 becomes so distant from the first series and characters come and go. As much as I like PLL there are so many loose ends that have never been tied up.
    Revenge is another series that is going the same way – great 1st season but the writers are now on season 4 and season 3 was bad enough. These American shows never know when to quit while they’re ahead. (The Sopranos and Entourage did it quite well though).

• Iz says:

they now have 2 season to tie up all the loose ends. Maybe this is there second chance to go out with a bang.

19. Brianna says:

You guys have to remember that the books never reveal who “A” is. Yes the serious is based on the books but it is loosely based on the books. Some people on the show were never even in the books and others were supposed to die a long time ago. I agree 2 more seasons is a bit much but since we are all so into it, I know we will all be watching just to see what happens but it will get frustrating because we always want answers, we just may never get them, welcome to the frustration of life.

20. How much longer can they keep going with this show don’t get me wrong im in love with PLL
    I love the cast they wrote a great show it definitely keeps you going thinking who the heck is “A” its nerve racking.

21. Taylor says:

For fucks sake man….how many seasons do you want til the “A” is found…. i mean there have been so many people that everyone thought was A, that now whoever it ends up being in the end no one’s going to give a crap! It’s obvious just from last season that your running out of ways to keep it going…. don’t know if I’ll keep tuning in, that’s for sure!

22. Alejandra says:

If Youre A True Fan, Youu Wouldn’t Complain To Wait Two More Years. I Love It How They Gonna Keep Going.!

23. I’m glad that PLL has been renewed for 2 more seasons, but do you think they will tell us who A is in season 5? Or are they going to make us wait until they have a few more seasons?

24. Eilish Hendry says:

I actually am not happy to hear this, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. If they leave us hanging for answers for too long, then a lot of fans will leave. Five seasons is enough for us to get what we need from the show, and if they drag it out too long it’s just going to get to aggravating to come back to get less answers and more questions.

• hr7286a says:

I completely agree. I was pretty sure they were gonna cancel after season 5…and as much as I love the show, I was gonna be perfectly fine with that! There’s only so much you can drag this storyline along….this will surely be interesting….

25. Yavor says:

Oh my godness….WHY ABS WHY…im so angry now…more 2 yaers to find -A and all answers RLY ?!?!?!?! You are like “Audacity and Beautiful” ……………………………………….and if only i wouldn’t start to watch the movie, I never to be continued this movie :X :X :X

26. Christina says:

So this proves its a very popular show… WHY DON’T THEY AIR IT ON UK TELEVISION ?

• Andy - London says:

Well you can either be naughty and download it early tomorrow morning or you can buy the box sets at a reasonable price from Amazon.
      I’m completely miffed as to why this show hasn’t been picked up by a major TV Network. It’s a gold mine, especially for the 14-25 girl demographic. I also think that UK TV networks should have done better with 24 and Entourage – 2 brilliant shows. At least I got to watch The Lying Game on Channel 5 Star – that’s what got me onto PLL. It’s like Scooby Doo but with beautiful girls!

27. samantha says:

It’s a great show and I love but two more seasons? Seriously? You can only take a series so far before it gets old and viewers are no longer into it. Personally I just feel like dragging it out for two more seasons is a bad idea. Season 5 should be it. Don’t make a good show go out on a bad note!

28. DL says:

Soooo basically we’ll never get our answers to all these twists and turns. I give up. I feel like I’m “A”.

29. Hannah says:

As much as I abs luv pretty little liars, I think adding 2 more seasons will kill ppl, specially if A Sony b revealed till the end of the 7th season!! A lot of fans like me feel like A has had a maniacal run and very devious but we can’t wait 4ever 2 find out who A is, its had the viewers like me itching 2 find out who A is and prolonging that shocking discovery by 2 more yrs would b torturous. I love the show and I wanna find out who A is but I don’t wanna wait another 2 yrs 2 fig that out.

30. Kayla says:

I am the happiest person in the world right now, because I just found out that the best show ever and my favorite show has just been renewed for two more seasons