×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

New Bill Cosby Rape Accuser Goes Public

Bill Cosby has been at the center of an escalating sexual assault controversy for the past few weeks, and on Sunday, another woman came forward with details of an alleged sexual assault at the hands of the actor.

Publicist Joan Tarshis penned an essay on Hollywood Elsewhere on Sunday, saying she was raped twice by Cosby when she was 19 years old and working with him in the fall of 1969.

Tarshis said she had flown to New York and met Cosby through mutual friends, who invited Tarshis to lunch with Cosby on the Universal lot. She wrote that Cosby invited her back a few times and was always generous with drinks — though never drank himself.

Tarshis goes on to detail her first alleged rape from Cosby, after he had asked her to stay one day after shooting and work on material in his bungalow.

“The next thing I remember was coming to on his couch while being undressed,” Tarshis writes. “Through the haze I thought I was being clever when I told him I had an infection and he would catch it and his wife would know he had sex with someone. But he just found another orifice to use. I was sickened by what was happening to me and shocked that this man I had idolized was now raping me. Of course I told no one.”

Tarshis says she felt she could not tell her mother what happened, as her mother saw the fact that she had worked with Cosby as a point of pride. Cosby apparently later called her and invited her to the Westbury Music Theater and Tarshis, saying she could not see a way out, went.

Tarshis writes that she went to Cosby’s hotel room, where the actor made her a drink, and when they went to the Westbury, there was no seat for her, so she stood at the back of the theater.

“But soon after, I remember feeling very, very stoned and asking his chauffeur to take me back to the car,” she writes. “I was having trouble standing up. The next thing I remember was waking up in his bed back at the Sherry, naked. I remember thinking ‘You old s–t, I guess you got me this time, but it’s the last time you’ll ever see me.’”

Tarshis did not reveal the account to anyone for 20 years.

Tarshis is only the latest to publicly accuse Cosby of sexual assault. Arizona woman Barbara Bowman penned an op-ed in the Washington Times on Thursday, detailing her struggle to get others to believe her story that she was drugged and raped by Cosby in the mid-1980s.

Earlier on Sunday, Cosby’s attorney, John P. Schmitt, issued a statement on the 77-year-old’s official website saying Cosby would not comment on the allegations.

“Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced,” the statement reads. “The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true. Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment.”

The allegations resurfaced in October, when Hannibal Buress brought them up during a stand-up bit and called Cosby a rapist on stage. Since then, Cosby’s past has been in the spotlight, and he recently canceled an appearance on “The Late Show With David Letterman” that was scheduled for Wednesday.

It’s not the first time Cosby has faced such allegations. In 2006, Cosby settled a civil suit with another woman who accused him of sexual assault, according to the Associated Press. She claimed in her filing that 13 more victims were ready to come forward, one of which was Bowman.

Despite the storm of negative press, a comedy series Cosby is working on with NBC and Sony has not changed its status, sources confirmed Saturday. Sources also confirmed Sunday that a Cosby special, “Bill Cosby 77,” is still set to stream on Netflix on Thanksgiving.

 

More TV

  • LETHAL WEAPON: L-R: Damon Wayans and

    TV Cancellations: Which Broadcast Shows Have Been Axed (So Far)

    Beware: The upfronts are coming. While many fan-favorite series have gotten renewed, networks are also canceling a bevy of shows, from “Speechless” to “Lethal Weapon.” Look below for the full list of cancellations, and keep checking back as more announcements are made. ABC “The Kids Are Alright”: Obvious and heartless pun aside, the family comedy [...]

  • Tina Fey, Maya Rudolph, Amy Poehler,

    Amy Poehler's Directorial Debut Is a Big 'Saturday Night Live' Reunion

    Having thrived as an actress, comedian, writer, and producer, directing may seem like a natural next step for Amy Poehler. But as she told Variety at the world premiere of “Wine Country,” she decided to take the plunge for one reason: “The ladies said yes. The end. Period!” Once it was suggested, all of the [...]

  • Big Little Lies Season 2

    'Big Little Lies' Season Two Trailer Shows The Damage of Lying to Meryl Streep

    The truth is still hard to find in season two of HBO’s “Big Little Lies.” The new trailer for the Emmy-winning drama shows the consequences that the Monterey characters face after getting away with murder in the first season. Rumors have started spreading in the wealthy, gossipy town and fellow parents are wondering what really [...]

  • "Sixteen Spanish Car Leak" -- Tim

    'Life In Pieces,' 'Happy Together,' 'Murphy Brown' and 'Fam' Canceled at CBS

    CBS has canceled a quartet of shows. Three of those, “Fam,” “Happy Together,” and “Murphy Brown,” will come to and end after only one season, while “Life In Pieces” will end after its fourth season, which is currently airing. The “Life In Pieces” news comes only five episodes into season 4. So far, it is [...]

  • ABC Renews 'The Rookie' And Four

    ABC Renews 'The Rookie' And Four Comedies Including 'Fresh Off the Boat'

    ABC has renewed a flurry of shows, including Season 2 of cop drama “The Rookie” and four comedies. “Fresh Off the Boat” will receive a sixth season, “American Housewife” is getting a fourth, and both “Bless This Mess” and “Single Parents” are returning for Season 2, respectively. “The Rookie” stars Nathan Fillion as the oldest [...]

  • LETHAL WEAPON: L-R: Damon Wayans and

    'Lethal Weapon' Canceled After Three Seasons at Fox

    Fox has canceled its troubled cop series “Lethal Weapon” after three seasons, Variety has learned. The show originally starred  Clayne Crawford and Damon Wayans as a buddy cop duo, however, Variety reported that the pair were far from friendly and fought regularly off-camera, leading to Crawford’s sacking. Season three continued with Seann William Scott replacing Crawford, however, Wayans announced [...]

  • Colton Cassie The Bachelor

    'The Bachelor,' 'Dancing With the Stars' Renewed at ABC

    ABC has renewed “Dancing With the Stars” for a 28th season and “The Bachelor” for a 24th. “Dancing With the Stars,” which finished airing in November, averaged a 0.93 rating in the key 18-49 demographic and over 7 million total viewers per episode across its 27th season. Meanwhile, “The Bachelor” ratings for season 23 were [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content