NBC Cancels ‘Community’ After Five Seasons

NBC has closed the book on “Community,” canceling the Sony Pictures TV comedy after five seasons of underwhelming ratings, even with the rabid fan base the show has fostered via social media.

Sony TV is likely to shop the series to other outlets. The show’s hard-core fan base seems tailor-made for content-hungry digital outlets like Amazon, Netflix and Hulu, who are less sensitive to the mass audience ratings demanded by a broadcast network.

Sony Pictures TV declined comment on the cancellation or plans to find a new home for the show.

Hulu already has digital rerun rights to “Community,” which would probably complicate a deal for new episodes on a rival service. Sony owns the Crackle comedy-centric Internet vid site which could be a logical fit. Comedy Central carries “Community” repeats for linear TV.

“Community” creator Dan Harmon has become a social media folk hero in some quarters for his unvarnished musings on Twitter and other platforms and the Harmontown podcast he has produced independently of the show since 2011. A documentary of his “Harmontown” club tour staged during his exile from “Community” in the 2012-13 season, is just hitting the festival circuit.

R.I.P. Cancelled TV Shows: What’s Not Returning Next Year

Harmon has had rocky relations with NBC and Sony TV in the past — he was fired from the show at the close of its third season — but he returned to the fold for season five. Still, “Community” never caught fire for NBC in a way that justified its renewal at a time when the Peacock is doing a top-to-bottom makeover of its comedy profile.

This time last year when the show was on the fence for renewal, it was no secret that Sony TV was approached by other outlets about a pickup should NBC pull the plug. In addition to the digital contenders, plenty of cablers might well make a play for the niche aud that would surely follow the show to a new home.

“Community” at times amounts to a half-hour rendition of theater of the absurd. Joel McHale leads an ensemble of misfits who initially meet in a study group at a community college. Chevy Chase was a cast member for its first four seasons. He had much-publicized battles with Harmon behind the scenes and left as the showrunner returned for season five.

Danny Pudi, Alison Brie, Yvette Nicole Brown, Gillian Jacobs, Ken Jeong and Donald Glover also star.

McHale acknowledged the news from NBC in a tweet Friday shortly after the ax fell.

1. Emily says:

i honestly didnt start watching this until early 2013. I saw it on t.v. but it was never advertised so i had no idea what it was about. I would just see the name in the listing and it was a lame sounding name (until you know what its about of course) so i never put it on. Randomly it was on when my i turned on my t.v. and i watched it from there! i mostly watched on Netflix though, maybe thats why you have poor ratings? I dont even have cable anymore, as many others that around my age (20) would agree and who the show targets/attracts the most. I think it was an absolutely amazing show and it is a tragedy to see it end so early. I really hope NBC reconsiders.

2. Tina says:

I have watched community from the beginning, I watch the re-runs on com central, constantly hilarious educated humor!! Love love love! It saddens me to see this happen, they were in a horrible time slot. Please, someone pick them up. I have never been a fanatic, but I’m willing to go there for this show!!

3. Community — best thing to happen to television this decade?

4. Johnathan says:

Yes! #SixSeasonAndAMovie

5. boltuprite says:

Community has been on life support for several seasons, this should come as no surprise to anyone.

6. When this show first started, I loved it. But then, idk I just sorta grew out of of; then began to just annoy me and stopped watching it. I will give this show credit, it always fought to stay alive!

7. Kevin Estes says:

I loved the show. But I think the concept was played out. Here’s hoping Dan Harmon and his great writing crew find a new venue. And that all the cast can use Community as a catapult to bigger and better things. Most likely to become a big name? Alison Brie, beautiful, endearing and very multi-talented, Next likely, Donald Glover, very skilled with off-the-chart likability. And I really hope someone finds a way to use Danny Pudi.

8. YAY! Now we can stop hearing all this “Save Community” bullshit.

9. not to be mean i saw this coming last year they were on the fence and at comic con donald glover was staying away from community side almost like he knew drama was coming. i never really watched the show so to me im just sad for the actors more than anything else. and the thing is they have too much competition. if they want the revive the show pitch it to netflix since there getting a channel of their own soon .

10. Best news of the day, it should never have on five years.

• kobecanrap says:

Moo Moo goes Timothy Bragg. Go back and watch your laugh-tracked comedies. You probably need the laugh tracks to know when to laugh.

Anyways, Community will at least see a movie via Kickstarter. I have my finger crossed for a sixth season on Hulu or Comedy Central.

11. CAC says:

One of the two shows I even watch anymore…and they cancel it!! Guess no reason to watch NBC!!!

12. sad :( says:

this is the worst day of my life.

13. D. E. Branham says:

Reblogged this on B.L.A.K. and commented:
    so many memories.. .wasted

14. Alex says:

NBC should call their Thursday night line up, “Must Suck TV”.

• Deadpoolio says:

Why would they do that they finally got rid of Community and Revolution…..Although you do have a point since they kept that god awful Hannibal show

15. steve says:

One of the very few shows worthy of my time. I wish the best for the talented actors and writers and hope to see and hear even better things from you all . Thank you for the fun memories.

16. Donald Glover and Dan Harmon made that show, honestly. It was doomed to fail once DG left.

17. Honestly says:

Not surprised this was cancelled. I’d rather watch paint dry.

18. Chelsea says:

What is the world coming to, I am mean come on it like all the good shows are going to get cancelled. : (

19. Mark says:

The creators of community wanted 6 seasons and a movie. Nbc could have renewed for one more year.

20. Harry says:

What kills me is that NBC was too stupid to try a different time period. Having it up against Big Bang, the number 1 comedy all those years never gave it a real chance. Why not have it run against cop/drama type shows? At least it would have had a chance to pull in a different audience. Is Fred Silverman running things over there again?

21. FSN Global 's Rick Fox says:

Reblogged this on Global News Now.

22. Blonde, blue-eyed Jesus says:

Bullshit. The show was just getting back its voice with Harmon back on board. I’m not a blind fanboy to Harmon but I can’t deny the show has kicked butt this season so it’s obvious he’s the brain trust behind it, and the cast is incredible, especially with Jonathan “Mike from Breaking Bad” Whatshisname taking over for the stillborn Chevy Chase.

Netflix, or really ANY OTHER NETWORK, needs to pick this up now and maybe they can figure out how to bring an audience to a smart, cool comedy because obviously NBC can’t (*cough* 30 Rock!)

• Rusty Shackleford says:

“The show was just getting back its voice with Harmon back on board’

It was as bad as season 3 was.

23. ginas13G says:

That’s really too bad. I got so much better once the original show runner was back.

24. sr says:

finally! There was nothing great about this show…maybe the first two seasons, then it was an F grade all the way.

• kidris90 says:

Then why are you here? Just don’t watch the show. Why take pleasure in the cancelation of a show many people loved. Just don’t watch it.

• Gee, makes you think, huh? says:

Clearly, not enough people loved it to save it from cancellation, sr included.

Just not watching it is the advice many people were four seasons ahead of. That’s why it’s getting canceled.

• Nick says:

Why get so defensive over someone’s opinion? So what if they didn’t like your favourite show. No need to cry over it. Move on with your life, if a show means that much to you, it’s time to step back and ask why.

25. cadavra says:

Did you really mean to write “absorb” and not “absurd?”

• kidris90 says:

You keep trolling like this. This show meant a lot to a lot of people. They are naturally upset. This is flat out trolling. There is no need to click on an article about a show you hate just to say how much you hated it. It’s childish.

• cadavra says:

What the hell are you talking about? “Theatre of the absurd” is a common expression; it has nothing to do with the quality of the show. The fact that Cynthia has corrected it proves it was a simple typo. If there’s any troll here, it’s you.

• revtim128 says:

I was wondering that myself

26. Christian says:

general comment is general, glenn.

great show, it will find its audience wherever it lands.

27. Glenn C. says:

Most TV is garbage. Especially the so called comedy’s! Not funny.