After Allred and Huth appeared before reporters at a press conference on Friday evening, an LAPD spokeswoman said that an investigation has been opened after “a possible victim of sexual assault met with detectives in the robbery homicide division.” The spokeswoman, Office Jane Kim, declined to comment further.
Cosby’s attorney, Martin Singer, on Thursday filed a notice of demurrer to dismiss a civil suit that Huth filed earlier this week. He claims that Huth and her attorney in the civil litigation, Marc Strecker, tried to extort money from the comedian before filing the civil suit. He called her lawsuit “meritless and unsupported” and is also seeking sanctions against her and Strecker.
Los Angeles Chief of Police Charlie Beck told reporters on Thursday that the department would investigate accusations against Cosby, even those that are outside the statute of limitations period, in part because it may assist in civil claims. But as of Thursday, he said, no possible victims had come forward.
Huth, now 55, alleges in her lawsuit filed Tuesday in Los Angeles that Cosby assaulted her at the Playboy Mansion in 1974 after having met him on a movie set.
Allred declined to comment on Huth’s civil suit because it was filed by another attorney. Huth appeared with her at the press conference but did not comment.