Jennifer Love Hewitt Joins ‘Criminal Minds’ as Series Regular

Jennifer Love Hewitt Criminal Minds
Jason Kempin/Getty Images

Jennifer Love Hewitt has joined the cast of CBS’ “Criminal Minds” as a series regular. Her character will be introduced in the crime series’ 10th season premiere this fall.

Hewitt will play Kate Callahan, a seasoned undercover agent whose work at the FBI has landed her a position within the Behavioral Analysis Unit.

“We’re thrilled to introduce a new special agent by adding the very talented Jennifer Love Hewitt to our amazing cast,” said Erica Messer, showrunner and executive producer of the series. “Many of us on the show have enjoyed working with her over the years and look forward to again. We have exciting storylines planned for her character and the entire BAU team as we head into our 10th season.”

Hewitt previously starred for five seasons on “Ghost Whisperer” for the Eye. Her other television credits include “The Client List,” for which she earned a Golden Globe nomination, “The Lost Valentine” opposite Betty White and “Party of Five.”

The next season of “Criminal Minds” will bow Oct. 1 at 9 p.m. on CBS.

1. I loved every show she starred in and look forward to seeing her on CSI . Think she will be great. Just sorry The Client List Ended and Ghost Whisper, they were two of my favorite shows, I even liked Party of Five.

2. Karen says:

Why mess up a good thing? The current ensemble of actors are amazing and I never miss a show. Don’t know what Hewitt will contribute.

3. francescavpegorer says:

Why will they do that?She has a cutie-mommy face like JJ. I don’t want JJ to be in a sort of competition for the bigsis-mommy role in the team.

4. Dee Litner says:

Seems like an act of desperation. Some producer (ian woolf) said the show will continue to draw 13-15 million viewers each week and will likely draw even more with JLH. I guess nobody told him the live ratings for the last two seasons have tanked. With season 8 hitting a low, drawing an average of only 10.44 with the key demo dropping from 4.1 o 2.9. Goes to show how little this new creative team knows CM’s audience. Instead of “Funbags”, how about better writers.

• Dee Litner says:

*Make that season 9 hitting the all time low with season 8 coming in second to last. Season 7 was last season with okay ratings.

5. Nina says:

Will there be serial ghost murderers?

6. First… The next season “will bow?” What does that mean? Debut?

Second… Egh… Jeanne Tripplehorn is horrible enough on the show, and Joe Mantenga is way too dry. Some of the worst acting I’ve ever seen on a good television program has come from his Rossi. So, they triple down and add JLH to the cast? Come on!!! I’m sure I’ll still look forward to every Wednesday, but this show is making all of the wrong calls here. The legacy of the original cast is being thrown under the bus. Hope Matthew Gubler doesn’t leave. Not only is Dr. Reed the best character, but they’d probably replace him with Justin Bieber.

7. Barbara LaMonaca Poole says:

Love CSI! Love JLH! Can’t wait to see if they click!!

8. Jodi says:

WHO IS SHE REPLACING?

9. Dee Jamacek says:

No more “The Client List” I guess. That show sure didn’t last long.

10. Regina Fenwick says:

JLH is definitely NOT A GOOD FIT for this show!!! :( I absolutely <3 Criminal Minds, & I like JLH in other shows I've seen her in, but she is simply NOT A GOOD FIT with the other cast members and the story line/content in Criminal Minds!!! I am soooooo disappointed!!!!!!! :(

11. JG says:

Love, love this show…and having JLH will just make it better for me !

12. Marcia says:

this is so wrong for my favorite show…

13. TJ Bradders says:

LOL silly show – the cast has lost more lovers than Little Joe on Bonanza.

14. Alyssa says:

It’s a good show. I don’t particularly like her much myself but I’m not crazy enough to say I’ll stop watching just because she is joining the cast. That is a bit ridiculous.

15. Sabrina Lang says:

I think JLH is a weak actor at best, but I will watch and see.

16. Linda Piccirillo says:

Love Jennifer Love Hewitt and a HUGE fan of Criminal Minds, owning all seasons! Cannot wait for her to join! Kudos!! What a great choice.

17. Kurt says:

I agree with Janet. I really like her, and she’s a good actress, but I guess time will tell as the season goes on, if she’s a good fit. I hope not to judge after only one show. I want to give her time to get settled. But summing up…………..bring Prentiss back!!!!

18. Catherine Arnold says:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. not sure she fits in with the rest of the team!!! never watched her in anything but “Ghost Whisperer” didnt like the show!

20. Philada says:

Calling wardrobe: Let the cleavage commence!

• Sandy Palmer says:

Hopefully they will not have Jennifer wear floozie type clothes. Also I hope that doesn’t change any of the other characters or give her a love interest or focus more on her character. She will never hold a candle to JJ.

21. Tanya says:

Yeah! I just love her. I have been a fan of her for years and I think it will be fun to watch her. People judge way to quick. Someone always had a problem with something. If you want to give up a show because you don’t think you are going to like something, then turn into something else, But I know what I will be watching Oct 1 2014 and every week after. I can’t wait to see all the cast doing such a great job.

22. elaina says:

guess thats the end of that series!! goodbye criminal minds…shes awful…

23. elizahgale says:

I wish she’d give up.

24. Jax says:

Wow. I do not think this was a good casting decision.

25. delBae says:

Such sad news. I will never this show again. .Disapointed

26. I know she will be a valuable asset to Criminal Minds, she’s great my husband and I just love her!!!!!

27. Dee says:

I am terribly disappointed to hear this. JLH is not a capable actress and I am afraid that Criminal Minds’ 10th season will be its last.
    I will not be watching.

28. carolyn handy says:

That used to be one of my favorite shows when it 1st aired. The 1st 2 seasons for great! I had to stop watching it because I felt that it was given people that did not have ideas of how to commit heinous crimes against others ammunition. I wish it would take I wish programming people and the writers could do better. You wonder why people do not watch TV. I wish Miss Love luck
    I will not reviewing nor recommending to friends.

29. Max says:

I stopped watching that show ages ago, it was just getting too twisted. It was disturbing, too many shows are starting to be like what is in the news. I’m sure she will be good on the show, but I will not go back to watching it again.